Rear Brake Light Issue

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
For the last couple of days, I have noticed my "brake light" indicator coming off and on in my dash. Experience with this tells me that one of the light bulbs is burnt out and a bulb needs to be replaced. However, this particular issue is odd in the fact that it doesn't always turn on and it only happens after the car has been running for a while. My previous experience with this tells me that as soon as you press the brake pedal on the car that the indicator light will come on should one of the brake light bulbs be burnt out. Since this isn't the case and all my brake lights appear to be working, what could be the issue?

FNCONE

Reaction score
Could be intermittent loose connection at the filament in the bulb. Same thing happened to me until the filament finally gave up. I'm not telling you to buy the bulbs asap but in my situation changing the bulbs helped. (Rear brake bulbs)

Caliaccord02

Reaction score
That was happening to me a few weeks back, once I changed the brake pads the light turned off. Check if your pads are worn.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I read that as the 'brake' light for the e-brake. But reading again I think he does mean the 'brake lamp' light. In which case it would not be low fluid.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
So wait, is it the "BRAKE" light, or the "BRAKE LAMP" light?
I read that as the 'brake' light for the e-brake. But reading again I think he does mean the 'brake lamp' light. In which case it would not be low fluid.

Sorry for the confusion guys. James, you're right; the "BRAKE LAMP" light is on.

I'll do what FNCONE said and just monitor the situation I guess.

james'99

Reaction score
Note that the red lights on the trunk lid of USDM coupes are also brake lights. I'm not certain as to whether the 3rd brake light will throw it. Note that that light come on when it notices less current draw so it may be attributed to a bulb that is on its way out, just not fully out yet.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Lol I also wrote "rear brake bulbs" lmao but I just wanted him to know which ones, not to change the reverse or turn signal bulbs. It has to be the bulb with double filament.

Back