Trasmission may be dying on me.

jonny

Reaction score
The past few months my car has been leaking tranny fluid and shifting really harsh (I have an Automatic, only 80K miles on it) and making a low humming like something is scraping in the wheel well. So I took it to a shop and found that my axle seals needed replacing and that I need a proper transmission service, also that the humming is my differential due to poor lubrication from sh*tty tranny fluid I had in the car. I had this done, and for a few days it was driving fine. About 2 days ago, I was pulling out of my schools parking lot, in slow, grueling traffic, going maybe 10 mph, and my car wouldn't shift into 2nd gear. I had to go WOT just to make it over the small hill I was on and I didn't even reach 15mph. I pulled off to the side, turned her off, turned her back on, then it worked. It shifted ridiculously hard for a couple hundred yards, but it worked. Now it's driving fine. The humming is back though and I'm starting to think it may not just be "poor lubrication" or the differential. I think my transmission is fixing to quit on me.

I really don't want to go back to the shop, it cost me 390 bucks already.

Anyone ever had similar problems? :ugh:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Has the D4 light started to flash yet? Did the shop drain and refill with Honda ATF (the only ATF you should use)?
You said you were at 80k. I'm assuming it hasn't been rebuilt yet and if that is the case it's going out around the right time. Mine was rebuilt at 90k. Some don't last as long, some last a lot more. It just depends.

It is probably going out.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this problem?...... Really? Lol YES! If you would've searched "transmission problems" on google I'm sure there would be a picture of this car. As for your problem, yes, unfortunately the transmission is going out. The torque converters overheat in these cars and cause them to wear prematurely to the point that they dont help shift gears anymore. I got lucky, mine lasted until 200k. I had mine rebuild with updated pressure valves and a transmission cooler added. It costed me about 2900$ but that's because of new mounts, motor and transmission as well as new axles because mine were broken. Bite the bullet and get it fixed or sell the car while it at least moves as buy something else. Very little problems with the manual versions of these cars have been had.. If you like the car, try one of those. I4 f23's have 5spd transmissions.

Good luck guy

jonny

Reaction score
Has the D4 light started to flash yet? Did the shop drain and refill with Honda ATF (the only ATF you should use)?
You said you were at 80k. I'm assuming it hasn't been rebuilt yet and if that is the case it's going out around the right time. Mine was rebuilt at 90k. Some don't last as long, some last a lot more. It just depends.

It is probably going out.

YES! the D4 light flashed for a considerable amount of time (maybe 5 minutes) and now my check tran. light is on.
No it's never been rebuilt. Thank you for the info!

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Yep it's gone.

Start contacting shops and consider a manual swap.

If you plan to own the car a lot longer, invest in a tranny cooler if you stay auto.

Back