2001 Honda Accord Dx - F23

mikedrre2013

Reaction score
Curious on best route for a powerful all engine swap on my accord. I've read around the site and see mixed reviews on the f23engine. I see most people just swap the transmission for a h22/h23 trans. I have a 4cyl/5 speed set up already. Would it be best/ less headache to install new tranny or engine or both or even build on my set up internally? Maybe even consider kseries or other engines that can fit my chassis? My goal is to get to 200hp. I want to stay away from turbo bc my intentions are to do it myself and learn along the way.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I want to stay away from turbo bc my intentions are to do it myself and learn along the way.

Wut? That's a cop out reason not to turbo your baby :goofy_batman:

If you are a learner, you should turbo it yourself! :waytogo: And you'll probably make between 200 and 250whp on a stock block, I did.

mikedrre2013

Reaction score
If I did want to turbo then. Would it be best to build on my f23 set up or would I be better off building a f20b (like bore it out and upgrade pistons/cams). Ok h series is best but I heard it would ruin my f23 transmission

604ACCORD

Reaction score
If I did want to turbo then. Would it be best to build on my f23 set up or would I be better off building a f20b (like bore it out and upgrade pistons/cams). Ok h series is best but I heard it would ruin my f23 transmission

Stock engine with like 5 to 7psi would give you pretty good numbers as russianred said I highly doubt an h would ruin your trans many people have done that swap before. It you boost use f23 they are low compression motors much better for turbo. I'm planning on boosting my stock f23 around 6psi and building a motor on the side so I can run maybe 10 or 15psi down the road. If you want to go fast build your f23 and run high boost you will never achieve the same numbers with a built fb20(no boost) that you would from boosting a f series

#SOHCdeezenuttz

Reaction score
Curious on best route for a powerful all engine swap on my accord. I've read around the site and see mixed reviews on the f23engine. I see most people just swap the transmission for a h22/h23 trans. I have a 4cyl/5 speed set up already. Would it be best/ less headache to install new tranny or engine or both or even build on my set up internally? Maybe even consider kseries or other engines that can fit my chassis? My goal is to get to 200hp. I want to stay away from turbo bc my intentions are to do it myself and learn along the way.

Aloha Sir...

Powerful ALL ENGINE swap is an option. The OEM F23 bottom end with OEM K20 pistons has proven its merit at +280hp on Methanol fuel and in the 10sec range.
BUT THIS IS AN F23 SWAP IN A CIVIC HATCHBACK, NOT AN ACCORD...

My point is that the F23 as an ALL MOTOR option is under rated, due to the weak point being in the head... (which I have been currently working on, going on two years now)

Turbo wise, a basic ebay turbo kit, upgraded injectors, and a good tune can get you into the 200hp range with ease.

Limiting factor on the OEM configuration would be around 10psi and net you the high 200's/low 300's on a pump gas tune.

the limited data i have collected, the weak point on the f23 bottom end are the RING LANDS... you can open the ring gap up a little bit and easily get into the 300's at about 14psi and still on pump gas.

I don't know how much the F/H transmissions will hold at max power/torque. But the ones i have worked with are into the low 400hp range over a few years and still going strong.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build. Please keep me posted as im always eager to learn new things!!

#SOHCdeezenuttz

Reaction score

The F23 in OEM form is a great platform for boost. Like i mentioned before, if your goals are to get MORE than 300hp.

Then you might want to look into some pistons at the least. There's great options for aftermarket cast pistons in the $200 budget range and they perform well.

As for the F20B, they are the ideal candidate for boost, IMHO.. as is.
They have a beautiful R/S ratio, decent compression at 11:1 and wouldn't need much to reach your goals.

Im a huge advocate for "HP per DOLLAR"... from what you mentioned, the F23 can get you to your goals alot cheaper. Depends on what your resources are and how far you want to go.

P.S. ideally in my world... i would take the F20B internals and stuff em into the F23... you would need to change the pistons though due to the difference in bore size. but that's for another topic sir... GOOD LUCK!!

mikedrre2013

Reaction score
Thanks for the Input everyone! I'm definitely might consider the turbo and do some research. Sounds like a f20b would be a less of a headache to just swap then turbo. I may try keeping my f23 and build it on the side who knows

phi1542

Reaction score
If you don't have strict smog laws like California I would go turbo if i were you lol but if you're looking for NA and 200hp is your goal look into the JDM H22. Those are rated like 217hp

mikedrre2013

Reaction score
Does the H22 fit well in the F23 5sp tranny?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back