4 cylinder alternator upgrade

xmsleepr

Reaction score
i recently installed a alpine M1000 in my car along with a jl audio 300/4 and looks like the cars electrical system cant handle it seeing as the lights nearly shut off with the volume up...

i searched the forum aside from buying an aftermarket high output alternator are there any oem options for me to upgrade?

since i dont have the V6 the odyssey alternator is not an option is the prelude alternator an upgrade?

my friend had a tl with the same issue and he got a smaller pulley for his alternator where would i find a smaller pulley to make my stock alternator work harder?

xmsleepr

Reaction score
i had done 2/3 the ground wire so i guess ill get some more wire and do the alternator to battery.

lashlee

Reaction score
As long as you limit your key off listening and have a good battery you should be okay. I've got three amps with two batteries and the original OEM alternator in my Accord.

xmsleepr

Reaction score
I'm going to start with thee cheapest thing first finish the big 3 upgrade I got a rockford fosgate 4gauge wire with a 100a fuse sounds like a good upgrade for my alternator to battery....exceept that when I follow the alterrnator wire it doesn't go to the battery?! Where does this wire go and can I just put it straight to the battery?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
For the big-3 upgrade you can go straight to the battery. The wire that you're wondering about goes through the harness and yeah eventually it gets to the battery.

If you're dead set on upgrading alternators, look into the Irragi high-output alternator for the 4cyls.

Here's a very informative thread on alternator upgrades: http://board.accordtuner.com/showthread.php?42718-OEM-Accord-Alternator-Upgrade-80amps-to-130amps

And some other alternator options:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/bo...2-honda-accord-4-cylinder-220-amp-alternator/

This one's hella pricey tho:

http://www.mechmanhighoutputalterna...-Output-Large-Case-Conversion-Alternator.html

Hope this helps, feel free to rep if it does.

Always wondered why the V6 odyssey alternator was not an option, is the mounting THAT different, or is the spin direction different? If it's merely spin direction - the article above states that direction does not matter since it's AC, and Denso makes the alternators with air fins made for both mounting directions for interchangeable use. Interesting.

Last edited:

lashlee

Reaction score
Nikita,

Nice find on the article. I always thought the J30 wouldn't work but it makes sense when I think about it. AC is alternating current, doesn't matter about rotation. I wonder if the fan really does work in the opposite direction. I may track one down at a junk yard and see how this works. Good catch!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Let me know if it works, and I will be doing the same - you getting J30 or Odyssey? If J30 works so would Odyssey upgrade. Which fan are you talking about Mike? The fins I was referring to are the cooling fins built in as part of the case of the alternator itself, not the SPAL cooling fan which the guy talks about getting additionally.

polishedalt1.jpg

Look at those fins for example, those are the ones referred to in the article as being bidirectional, and receiving air when mounted from either direction.

lashlee

Reaction score
I didn't look at mine so I wasn't thinking about the fans being internal. I'll see what I can find around at the local junkyards and post it up in a few weeks when I get some time away from work to take care of it. The one I get depends on whatever I find!

Back