Crappy week... (Update)

truWarier02

Reaction score
Update: 5/29/2014

Here it goes again... Was getting excited today to finally detail my car with my new DA polisher and goodies once I got home from work. I was in a parking lot of a plaza about to get a drink from Starbucks during my lunch break. My car was stopped in a aisle waiting for someone to pull out so I can get into their parking spot on the left side. I just so happened to look in my driver-side mirror and this other lady that was parked several spaces down backs out of the parking spot with her Sienna right into my driver-side quarter panel. By the time I noticed she was getting close, I didn't have time to react and move forward. I was pretty pissed... The dent is not noticeable looking straight at it but from an angle, you can definitely tell. And while my mind was scrambling and trying to take her information down, she had the audacity to tell me to hurry up so she can go to the airport. :huh: Get the fuck outta here with that... I'm definitely gonna use that against her. Now my car has to sit in a shop again, and god knows if any other damage will happen to my car when it's left there for an extended period.

xfos4o.jpg

307t4pd.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

So... this is probably one of the worst weeks I've had in a long time.

Last Wednesday, my dad backed into my bumper with his FJ Cruiser, creating a spider web crack and also dented my trunk pretty bad. Trunk was dented by the spare wheel and bumper cracked from impact of his trailer hitch. I didn't find out until I got home later in the day and I was pretty upset. I'm normally someone who doesn't get mad much and just brush things off but this incident affected me a bit, being that it is my first car.

2r2xaa1.jpg

2ytzdjr.jpg

So I brush it off until the weekend because my dad was willing to pay for the trunk to be fixed. He kept telling me to bring my car to his acquaintance's shop because it was cheap ($300) compared the shop's I scoped out ($450-$500). I was initially really hesitant because it's an older guy and his little shop does not scream quality as its like a small personal garage. The places I wanted to go to were shops that cater to the tuner crowd so they know how to take care of cars a bit more (i.e. Incorrect washing techniques before giving car back to customers, brushing their arms on a dusty car or leaning on it).

So I went to check in on my car the next day and I find it in a mess. I guess he was doing the body work on the trunk while it was still mounted on the car. Wasn't too happy about that because this leads to swirl-city if he washes it (simple hose down and wipe). The next day I went back to pick up my car and I see he was finished washing the car with a dirty bucket of water and an old shirt.....sigh.

20hrdzo.jpg

I went home and gave it a proper wash and noticed it was filled with new swirls and fine scratches... whatever, I planned to get it detailed soon anyway. Body work on the trunk looked pretty good. Next morning, I inspected the trunk and I see tiny white specks on different parts of the trunk. I brought it back and he admitted it was his fault and blamed the hot weather. So he agreed to repaint it free of charge.

This time I told him to not wash my car. Went back the next day to check on my car. Everything's good and he was laying down the base coat so I went home optimistic and excited to pick up my car the next day. So he finished it today and called me earlier to pick the car up. Trunk looked great. As I was leaving the lot, I got out the car and did my usual walk-around to just make sure everything was the way I brought it in. Low and behold, as I walked towards the front...... my Genuine OEM front lip.

ou1oo2.jpg

2uzphk7.jpg

15z1nbc.jpg

I got pretty heated and he didn't admit to cracking it and claimed that I probably cracked it before I brought it in. And pointing out that my car's body wasn't perfect and had little dents on the doors and stuff... basically implying I probably cracked the lip too. I mean, I'm aware my lip was scraped up pretty good on the underside from entering/exiting my driveway daily but the front showed no signs of cracks at all and I would know for damn sure if I had a broken lip before I brought it in. As a matter of fact, the center of my lip was never scraped as the sides that hang down take the damage. It certainly looks like he crashed into those parking spot cinder blocks. He was saying the damage was old. My mom ripped into him a bit and he finally said that he would fix up the lip. At this point, I just wanted to get my car the fuck out of there. The longer my car was in his possession, the more damage it incurred. I'll talk him into paying for my new BaysonR lip (sigh...) and paint labor.

Just when my car was coming along together...this BS happens. At this point, I'm not mad and I'm not happy. Just very blehhh... On the bright side, I guess for now I can zip-tie it together for the fuck of it and rock it like that for a bit :lawl:

/rant.

Last edited:

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Re: Crappy week...

:snoopfacepalm::yuno: This same s$%^ happened to my TL when I had the grill painted to match the car. I learned my lesson, and swore to always go to a tuner shop that actually showed love and care in their work and for the understanding that cars are passions of life and custom pieces of artwork! Sorry to hear about your rough time, and hopefully things pick up for you :(

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Damn Davis, that is unfortunate. I know you trusted your first instincts with him, and boy you were right on the money... After you get your new lip painted again(good paint match), and going to a legit professional/competent hobbyist to get your car detailed, hopefully you will fall in love with your car again.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

he broke an OEM lip, so he should replace it with an OEM lip; not a replica

which shop is this in case I ever need to repaint my car....

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Damn that’s a ridiculous string of events, sorry to hear dude. Sounds like it would be best to take the parts off the car and give the part to him instead of leaving the car there. Is the OEM lip getting fixed or are you trashing it and going with a replica?

I’m a little nervous now, I gave my OEM lip to the guy that did my trunk for it to be fixed, works at a BMW dealer body shop called Enthusiast Auto Group. He’s had it for a couple weeks now and I haven’t heard anything. Called him Monday, gonna call again today.

Anyway, hope it all works out and sorry for your misfortune.

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score

Damn that's rough. It's amazing how difficult it's getting to find people who are passionate about their work and do a quality job. I've had a couple of bad experiences at various local body shops. They like to do shady work then act like your expectations are too high when your not happy with the results.

lenz973

Reaction score

Damn.. I am sorry to hear that also.. It s hard to find a place that will treat your car as their own. Your initial feelings were correct about the spot being pretty shady. Always better to go with a good quality place even if you pay more.

I hope nothing happens...

truWarier02

Reaction score

Thanks guys. It aggravates me every time I look at my lipless bumper and see the cracked lip in my garage.

My BaysonR lip is arriving tomorrow morning and I'll take the dremel to it and send it off for paint in the afternoon.

Apparently, my dad brought the lip back to the guy this morning and he agreed to "fix" it and paint it, at no charge of course.

Do you guys think with OEM ABS plastic, it would ever be back at original strength? I mean it could take quite a beating unlike cheap eBay ABS but I guess he rammed into the parking cinder block quite hard to crack it like that. Does it look beyond repairable?

cmgreensr

Reaction score

I'm sure a more experienced member could chime in but if it's abs then you would think it could be plastic welded but I don't see that guy being able to do anything with it. A skilled body man I think could take care of it though.

Back