DIY: CL-S Battery Tray & Cover Retrofit (4-cyl)

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
This is a cosmetic mod for the V6, but I decided to retrofit it into the 4-cyl. For most of you this will be much easier because I was tight on room - my oil catch can and hoses were almost in the way.

Contrary to popular belief, the battery tray/cover combo that some people here have on their V6 is not a TL-series component! It is specifically for 01-03 CL. Trust me, I checked the TL ones, and they aren't even close to fitting since they are molded specifically for the shape of the TL bay, not just the shape of the battery.

I went to the Acura dealer and purchased both items recently for right under $25. BlackDeathV6BG gave me this idea when I saw this setup in his engine bay, and I figured why not make it fit for the 4 cyl!

Difficulty: 2 [1-10]

Time: 45 mins to an hour

Materials/Tools Needed:
  • Acura CL 01-03 Battery Tray & Cover
  • Dremel
  • Screwdriver (Flathead)
  • Sharp Utility Knife
  • Ratchet Set
  • Measuring Tape

Process:

1) First locate your 01-03 CL Battery Tray & Cover, these are the part numbers from Honda for both:
img6829zs5.jpg

2) Start with the tray. Take your dremel and cut off this the ribs lined in red, up to the line shown.
53027554zg5.jpg

55107153aa4.jpg

3) Cut out an indent in this part of the box, because if you have AC, the lines will interfere if it is not cut out. Remeasure this yourself, but I believe the cuts are 4" & 5.5" from bottom of tray, and depth of ~2".
img6817ty6.jpg

4) Next, you need to make sure your (+) and (-) terminals can feed through the indents in the box, and reach their respective locations on the battery. Mine didn't and I had to extend them. I did so by unfastening two clips and giving the positive wire some slack. My negative terminal was fine.

a) The first clip is this one - located on the left strut tower and easily removed with a screwdriver:
img6818bl1.jpg

b) The second clip is located near the bottom of the metal accord battery tray as shown. It needs to be popped off the metal tab to give more slack for the wire:
img6821tf7.jpg

5) Fit the tray and cover into the spot, and connect your wires. Make sure your battery tie down is in proper alignment with the indents on the CL box, and that the left tiedown rod is used as the left holding point for the battery cover. See pictures below.
img6822cg4.jpg

img6826wc5.jpg

img6825ye9.jpg

Well, those are the results, I hope to see someone do this as well, and I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
that looks pretty clean nikita. you really gotta go buy a can of engine paint and do that valve cover, haha. but if i wasnt gonna relocate my battery, id prolly do this too, haha. good job man.

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
great job for DIY :thumbsup:

Contrary to popular belief, the battery tray/cover combo that some people here have on their V6 is not a TL-series component! It is specifically for 01-03 CL. Trust me, I checked the TL ones, and they aren't even close to fitting since they are molded specifically for the shape of the TL bay, not just the shape of the battery.

:thinking: im 100% sure that the 00 TL-P engine layout/shape of the TL bay is the same as my 99 v6. so the tray/cover should work fine on the v6.

lwlba

Reaction score
nice! but difficulty is probably 2 :lawl: doesn't seem that hard

Back