Sino's 1999 Accord EX Sedan 5MT (56k)

Sino

Reaction score
Fuel filter/pump is worse than the valve cover. There's just always more fluid hidden somewhere. Got a nice gasoline bath yesterday taking it apart. Just need to figure out how to unclip the fuel level thing to swap it to new filter.

Also took off rocker arms yesterday. My brother used some strange curved pliers he had to pull out one valve seal. It looked pretty mangled inside but we can't be sure how much of that was the pliers. Saw a video on YouTube of a couple guys doing this job on an Integra engine using some Craftsman spark plug pliers to pull seals off. Going to pick those up in the morning.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
I thought the bottom of the assemble just clipped off personally. The service manual doesn't say anything?

As for the seals, you might just be best off pulling the head and going through it again. You went through way too much effort on the rebuild to have hadthis happen, you know?

Sino

Reaction score
Yeah, everything that's gone wrong was stuff my brother and I didn't do ourselves. Machine shop has been around for decades, good reputation. Owner probably just dumped the job on some newbie that porked it. If I ever need work done again I'll be going somewhere else. Engine's running mint apart from the oil consumption. Zero noise, beautifully smooth throughout the tach. Did a leakdown test a few days ago and got 5% leak in every cylinder, which from what I understand is what you'd expect from a new engine. You never know, but I'm reasonably confident the valve seals are the last major issue. Knock on wood lol

Edit: Service manual is super helpful with the fuel filter. Says remove x, y, z, lol. The fuel level unit clips to the filter housing it's just nothing like any clip I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
Valve seals all replaced. What a tedious job getting springs and keepers on and off. For the exhaust ones my brother pushed springs down with a clip pry tool while I removed/installed keepers. But for the intake ones they're too far back and angled away to get any leverage like that. Rented http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/valve-spring-compressor/oem-valve-spring-compressor/2052_0_0
Had to bend the inner walls a bit because it was slightly too wide but it worked pretty well. For putting the seals on my brother had a great idea to put half of a bit of heat shrink tube on the valve shaft and heating the top to create a taper. This covers the gouge for the keepers that apparently can damage the seal going in.

As far as the old ones, intake and exhaust were where you expect them to be. Can't really see any damage.

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
It's so hard to photograph but around the light reflection you can see the color when light hits it. Think it's pretty faithful to deep velvet blue pearl.

XvsZ7N3.jpg

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
Been a while since an update, after valve seals oil consumption is still occurring but nowhere near as quickly. Going to observe throughout the winter and consider options next year. Tried my hand at some more advanced detailing and I was impressed with the results. Clayed, and then polished/sealed using Klasse All-In-One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant, respectively. I've done it on a few other Hondas in the immediate family lol. Finished up the backup camera and a head unit to display it. Pictures coming soon.

kn0x47

Reaction score
It's so hard to photograph but around the light reflection you can see the color when light hits it. Think it's pretty faithful to deep velvet blue pearl.

XvsZ7N3.jpg

bend the sample (dont crease it) and how the center, lighter part looks, is how it's going to look on the car. Mine came out a lot lighter than i thought it was going to be

Back