V6 Alternator Upgrade DIY W/ pics

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you upgrade your alternator don't forget to upgrade your alternator-battery wiring! If you don't you can have low voltage and your wires can get hot and melt and possibly catch fire!

Have any of you changed the alternator/battery wiring after installing the Odyssey alternator? Anyone had any problems?

your still limited unless you change the 100A fuse stock under the fusebox for the V6 and 80A fuse stock on the i4. :peek::

So you're saying for a V6 Accord, the 100A fuse has to be replaced with a 130A fuse to take advantage of the Odyssey alternators full potential?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
a fuse can pass more current than it's rated for for a little bit. if you're going to be using the alternator at/almost at full output constantly, then you'll need to upgrade it because it will blow.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
well, it depends.

a long run of 4ga wire can hold 120-130A of current (from the battery, through the car, into the trunk...like 20 feet). since all the wires under the hood are short, 8ga would theoretically be enough. i dont know where the alternator's positive cable runs in the V6 but that might be too long for 8ga.

provided the stock wiring isnt corroded (high internal resistance) i'd just use the stock wiring. but in the V6's case, i'd probably see how much the odyssey wires are and get new ones...these cars are getting old and so is the wiring. provided the odyssey uses the same routing as the accords/TLs...i dont see why they wouldn't...honda keeps stuff the same when it saves money :lawl:

with that said, if i was going for a high output system where the alternator's extra output is needed, like with a ghetto-fab stereo, i would do all 4ga power/grounds under the hood just to be done with it. 1/0 is simply unnecessary.

Last edited:

FIGHT4MYACCORD

Reaction score
20120203_170805.jpg

Did the swap from the old stock alternator to the odyssey 1999 alternator and it defiantly gives a little more POWER!

JetLife

Reaction score
So I just bought an 01 odyssey alternator and my dad tried fitting it n he said it wouldn't work :/ it wasn't the same brand as urs tho. Could that be why

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
What about it wouldn't fit? There are different brands and sometimes there are slight variations in exactly where the plugs are, etc. But the difference shouldn't be big enough to keep it from hooking up.

JetLife

Reaction score
What about it wouldn't fit? There are different brands and sometimes there are slight variations in exactly where the plugs are, etc. But the difference shouldn't be big enough to keep it from hooking up.
i believe it was a duralast ultra or something and my dad said that the female connection would match up or something. im pretty bumped about it :( He ended up taking it back to autozone and getting an OEM one :(

Sentinel

Reaction score
thanks for this DIY. i had a lot of alternator whine when i had my old system. but recently, i went back to stock headunit/stock speakers and am still experiencing the alternator whine. i'll probably upgrade the alternator soon. thanks!

419superman

Reaction score
sorry to thread bump. but is there a technique for getting the belt on the new alternator? I bought a new belt for it along with a brand new alternator, and its not stretching enough.

Back