DIY Evap Canister Change - P1457

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
Good to hear man. Ya i brought it to the mechanic and they just said i dont need to fix anythign and just leave it until emissions test (2 years) but i read PCM can be damaged. So i'm hoping changing the 2 wya by pass valve and he Bypass Solenoid will fix it up.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
haha wait...your check engine light came on and you brought it to the mechanic and they told you that you don't need to fix anything?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Good to hear man. Ya i brought it to the mechanic and they just said i dont need to fix anythign and just leave it until emissions test (2 years) but i read PCM can be damaged. So i'm hoping changing the 2 wya by pass valve and he Bypass Solenoid will fix it up.

I would think about avoiding that mechanic in the future for other repairs. While your issue currently is not one that can directly affect the car...its not nothing either.

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
Ya i told them it was the 1457 they checked the car and said you can just save your money for now and fix it later when emissision test comes up.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
hahaha, yeah, i'd never go there again. that's basically what i did though, i have inspection in august :lawl: cel has been staying off for now :thumbup:

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
Well i just bought the 2 way bypass valve and bypass solenoid. 150 bux OEM so hopefully that fixes the evap 1457 code.

scottyz

Reaction score
I had the same EVAP code. P1457. First off - sweet write up - I would have never found the bracket screw without your pictures. I had the CEL come on, checked the code at Auto Zoo - and they came back with P1457. I also went to Advanced Auto Parts; they would not give me the code they said it was a "Dealer only - no definition"
So I called Honda Parts - asking for the Shut Valve as you mentioned. They mentioned that is was "rarely" this item (though under my car it is rusted to hell under mine as well). Shocked they told me when they run the P1457 code at Honda it comes back as a failed by-pass solenoid. So I ordered that part - 80 bucks, it is the part directly to the left incased in a plastic cover on the pictures posted here. I removed that and replaced it (screw were rusted to hell too - had to drill them out of the steel bracket to get the solenoid out). Honda parts guy told me 90% of the time it is the bypass solenoid - and that is what they replace. Not to say it couldn't be the Shut Valve Solenoid... but they said the first thing they change is the By-Pass Solenoid. I mean who is going to take the time to run a smoke test ? SO that's what I did - re-set the CEL and haven't seen it again.... yet....
Thanks for the write up though it was really helpful.

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
so i changed my 2way bypass valve and bypass solenoid today. the mechanic said there was actually some fuel in the old valve. hopefully the 1457 is gone now for good

. spent 220 on 2 parts and labour.

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
Well this reallly suxx within 40 kms my cel came back on after putting in a new bypass solenoid and bypass valve. While the canister vent shut valve was there I saw it and it was extremely rusted up. Thoughts? I guess just get a new can vent shut valve.

Wanted to mention in the bypass valve while taking it out there semed to be fuel in it as it was heavier than the new one I got.

Back