Elements/Lightroom/PS

kn0x47

Reaction score
Sense I've upgraded to a D7100 and I plan on selling prints soon I've decided to upgrade my software (to something i actually paid for :hide:.) I've been using CS3 sense forever but it can't read the D7100's raw files.

I downloaded Elements 12 to try last night and it seems to do most of everything I'm used to doing. The interface is so "user friendly" that it made me feel like I was using a child's program tho. In a few days I'm going to start the trial of Lightroom to see what it can do.

So, either I'll have to buy both elements and lightroom so I can do almost everything I used to do in PS or I dish out the extra $400 and buy CS6 (adobe CC is retarded)

Which programs are you guys using? preference? why?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have CS4 at home which I'm not a huge fan of, So I usually do anything at work after hours since I have CS6 there. Since I got it all for free I don't have an inclination to try other software since PS does so much. There is a price to paid though, otherwise.

I'd say whatever meets your needs is worth it, especially if you plan on starting to charge for prints and what not.

kn0x47

Reaction score
yeah it really just comes down to money. either i get PS to use what i'm used to using or do Lr/PSE for a third of the cost and risk losing a few features. I still gotta tryout lightroom

Jon, I'm not as experienced, or as knowledgeable as you in photography, but the site I use is for very simple editing, and cropping. It's free and user friendly. Take a look at it.

http://www.picmonkey.com
thanks but yeah it won't do enough for my needs

cfox28

Reaction score
I like cs6, but also was fine with cs5. You might look to see if you can get a cheaper earlier version instead of getting the newest (cs6). Also if you know any students you can have them get you a discounted package, it still rapes you though.. I think its like 3 something for PS, AI, and ID and maybe 150 for just photoshop.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
$150 for a program like Photoshop is a steal. I think back when I was in school, with the student discount at the book store, it was $400-$600 for Adobe Creative Suite.

kn0x47

Reaction score
I like cs6, but also was fine with cs5. You might look to see if you can get a cheaper earlier version instead of getting the newest (cs6). Also if you know any students you can have them get you a discounted package, it still rapes you though.. I think its like 3 something for PS, AI, and ID and maybe 150 for just photoshop.
student copies are not supposed to be used for stuff you're making a profit off of. i'm trying to do what is morally correct. Photoshop CC is the newest version and the oldest version that works with the D7100 is cs6

$150 for a program like Photoshop is a steal. I think back when I was in school, with the student discount at the book store, it was $400-$600 for Adobe Creative Suite.
well element and lightroom would run me around $230. photoshop cs6 itself is like $600 retail

kn0x47

Reaction score
turns out its ok to use the student photoshop for commercial purposes. trying to get me a copy off ebay.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
i'm using cs5.5. I really like it's ability to stitch pics together and do content aware fill. i heard cs6 let's you do conditional actions though, and would love that.

Back