Enne's 1989 Honda Prelude Si 2.0 4WS

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Yep, it's the same as turning the headlights on in the Accord, turning the stalk. Fog lights have a switch on the dash, next to a switch to make the headlights stay up, even if you turn the stalk to "off".

I did three of the spark plugs lol. The second one, is either too short or needs a different socket or something because my 5/8 socket can't get to it.

ab554d11f4a617d26da7c7a72d7d1df2.jpg

Also, this air tube (see photos) refuses to line up with the rubber part it connects to near the front of the car. It was halfway disconnected when I looked under the hood today. I was able to wrestle it back in, but barely.

d9aef4e17ce4408db4a7c576de50cd68.jpg

There is no way that I'm getting that air filter out on my own. There's so much stuff over and in front of it. I can't find a video or write-up of how to change one either.
Nothing in the owners manual?

Enne

Reaction score
No, nothing in the service or owner's manual about how to change the air filter, or what's up with the tubing.

Got an OEM radio in!

9609367ff04a231c1bca643a2afef3ac.jpg

Enne

Reaction score
irst photo is after the car had been running for at least an hour and the thermostat was still dead cold. So I called my dad on the way up there and had him grab a thermostat and green silicate-free coolant for when I got there.

My dad got the air filter out and put the new one in, like it was nothing lol. The intake tube had to come out but after that he had it all back together quickly.

That spark plug I couldn't get out; turns out there was a big chunk of old spark plug wire burned fast to the bottom of the tube. It wasn't even a piece of the old wire that I took out, it was part of a different wire. So someone did change the spark plugs at some point, but they left that in there and shoved a new wire down in past it. We had to dig that piece out with a pair of hemostats. The ceramic part of the plug was cracked a bit too. Old plug and piece of rubber are in the fourth photo.

When we took the dizzy cap and rotor off, we found that the screw in the rotor was totally stripped. The fifth photo is of what we had to do to get it out... Cut part of the rotor off and then use various tools to get out. There was no way it was coming out with a screwdriver. Someone really worked it over, then gave up on it and left it that way. But now there's a nice new cap, rotor and screw in there lol.

Also changed the ATF and oil. The old oil seemed to be conventional. I replaced it with Quaker State 10W-30 high mileage full synthetic, put on a Fram Ultra oil filter, and did another ATF drain and fill with Valvoline Max Life. Last photo is of the oil filter that was on it previously.

The car reaches and stays at operating temp now and I can turn the heat on lol. Seems to run better at higher speeds too; it doesn't go over 3100 RPM @ 65 MPH now, just a hair under 3000 now and it doesn't seem to be struggling at highway speed.

Next is to clean the upholstery (I got a can of Blue Coral upholstery cleaner, which I know works well), then motor/trans mounts and body work. After that it's getting a full exterior detail and paint correction.
164f0fe50b7806ced283be52e548c71f.jpg
043afdbde2b55371b2365e131e995700.jpg
ad48446849eaf561e5807350b561ac0a.jpg
60884b8fe0995f310e4b2569de874522.jpg
b2784734b72f95e733ac8a9a794767c2.jpg
f369ff899614f9794f0e935f290bc0f6.jpg
6cb50347ebc04753ddc3a989359cc4d5.jpg

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Glad you found your issue with that spark plug.
Man, that rotor screw looks beat. I've only seen 1 other like it (my son's 98 Civic). We found it doing a tune up.
If the filter on the left was supposed to look like the filter on the right, it was really dirty.

Enne

Reaction score
Man, that rotor screw looks beat.

If the filter on the left was supposed to look like the filter on the right, it was really dirty.
Yeah it was destroyed. Dad said it was stripped, so I told him to try my brand new screwdriver. I couldn't see how bad it was and he was like "No screwdriver is ever going to turn this screw ever again" lol. So out came the grinder and pliers. Had to do something similar with Selene's sway bar links that the bolts rusted fast to.

The old filter was a green Fram filter. New one is a red filter, I forget the brand already lol.

Hoping to apply glaze to the paint, clean the EGR and trans solenoids this weekend. It's supposed to be good and warm out.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Had to do something similar with Selene's sway bar links that the bolts rusted fast to.

cutting tools are part of the standard removal procedure for honda endlinks :lawl: really though. that's the only way i ever got any of them off, aside from beginners luck the first time i did accord suspension on my first 6g.

Enne

Reaction score
The entire car is shaking at idle (only after running for a few minutes), and then it disappears the second I step on the gas. The car has also stalled and turned completely off the past two cold starts. Then when the key is turned a second time, it starts right up and has no issues aside from the shaking. If the car is shifted into neutral the shaking stops though, so I'm really thinking it's the motor mounts. I am hoping to have at least the front one replaced soon.

I fixed the clock and trunk light issues. Changed the fuse under the hood for the clock. And just because I was in there I changed the 10A fuse labeled "ECU" as well. Clock seems to be keeping time now.

Here were the symptoms that changing the clock fuse fixed:
Issue 1:
The digital clock in the dash doesn't keep time when the car is turned off. Like if I set it to the right time, then turn the car off and come back it hasn't changed. But if the car is running it'll keep time. It would also dim dramatically after turning the headlights on.

Issue 2:
The "trunk open" warning light on the gauge cluster comes and stays on whenever the car is on. It only started doing this after I took out the old aftermarket CD player.

So, I'm glad at least those are fixed. Now to replace motor mounts and clean the EGR valve. Hopefully that will clear up the CEL that's on for EGR issues.

Enne

Reaction score
Having the motor and transmission mounts, MAP sensor, EGR valve gasket, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and coolant temp sensor installed. Then inspection.

Update: They said the first and third injectors are leaking. And that the second one was replaced somewhat recently. So I am having 1, 3 & 4 replaced and all of them are getting new seals. Since they are letting me split my bill into payments I don't mind paying a bit more for them to order those parts in... I'd rather get something like leaking injectors replaced ASAP than save a few bucks and wait.

He passed inspection and everything is installed, except the one motor mount. Jared (service writer) said it didn't fit. He said it might've been the wrong part. So I'll be returning that one to RockAuto. I'll get a replacement and get that installed, eventually... He said the old one was not torn or in poor condition so it would be fine to put it back in. Otherwise everything is good.

Drove him to work this morning. It doesn't shake anymore! No more bad vibes lol. At least, not any worse than any other 29 year old car. This is a huge improvement.

He did take a bit to turn over this morning (maybe two seconds instead of half a second, lol) but it might be the battery. I think it might be too small. I will look into how big of a battery I can put into him. Someone here mentioned it can take a larger one, but I forget the size they said. It doesn't seem to be doing that "vibrate to the rhythm of the turn signals" thing anymore but I'll keep an eye on it. No more strong fuel smell either!

I was contacted by Regular Car Reviews about the Prelude a few days ago. In talking with them, they said they're looking to schedule in May. I told them I'm planning on doing body work and paint after May, so if they want to see it before then, I'm free this month. But if they wanna see it all fixed up and new looking it'll be at least a month or two.

Accordx

Reaction score
Dang Regular Car Reviews? That's pretty sweet, I want to see that. It's good to see such a cool car being cleaned up so nicely. I always see a similar prelude si at work and it sticks out for how good looking of a car it is considering it's age. The pop ups never get old either

Enne

Reaction score
Dang Regular Car Reviews? That's pretty sweet, I want to see that. It's good to see such a cool car being cleaned up so nicely.
They're in Austin, TX this weekend and they said once they get back they want to schedule a time in May with me. I'm soooo excited :love: And thanks!

Back