what would YOU do?

iHazSnail

Reaction score
Here's the scenario. Should i trade my T1i plus cash for a T3i or should i go for a 10-20mm???

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i forgot to reply to your fb message... Canon is like apple with its ipods in a sense. Every 6-8 months they come out with a new canon rebel that is supposidly to be better than the last hence why in the last 3 years you have seen the rebel xl, xs, xsi, t1, t1i, t2, bla bla bla. Invest in lenses and then when you decide to get serious or want to go pro, get your self a 5d Mk2 which is superb in low light

I know you want something thats good in low light and high ISO but if you invest in lenses with lower F-stops then you can shoot better at night. I just purchased a 85mm 1.4 yesterday which is amazing in low light, 1.2 is better but about $1000 difference for .2 of a difference.

You will get FAR more use out of a 10-20mm lense (because ive been dying for that lense for a while now as well lol) make sure you get the 10-20mm f 3.5 because you will be far happier with that instead of the f 4.0-5.6

turbo_911

Reaction score
i forgot to reply to your fb message... Canon is like apple with its ipods in a sense. Every 6-8 months they come out with a new canon rebel that is supposidly to be better than the last hence why in the last 3 years you have seen the rebel xl, xs, xsi, t1, t1i, t2, bla bla bla. Invest in lenses and then when you decide to get serious or want to go pro, get your self a 5d Mk2 which is superb in low light

I know you want something thats good in low light and high ISO but if you invest in lenses with lower F-stops then you can shoot better at night. I just purchased a 85mm 1.4 yesterday which is amazing in low light, 1.2 is better but about $1000 difference for .2 of a difference.

You will get FAR more use out of a 10-20mm lense (because ive been dying for that lense for a while now as well lol) make sure you get the 10-20mm f 3.5 because you will be far happier with that instead of the f 4.0-5.6

True, I had Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 and I loved that lens. It is far better in image and sharpness quality. With such wide angle you will be mostly shooting at F/8-F/11 but if you will need to go lower, at F/4 with flash makes some amazing pictures. It is not a prime lens that you will want to use smallest F-Stop possible.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
how much better is the 3 than the 1 at high ISOs?

just buying faster lenses helps, sure, but the difference between f/2 and 1.4 is only one stop (same from going from ISO 400 to 800). these days, with ISO 6400 usable on many cameras, thats a 3 stop advantage above ISO 800.

and the thing about fast lenses is that the depth of field is narrowed considerably when using them wide open (all 6-ish of my lenses but the cheap 80-320/4.5-5.6 are f/2.8 or faster) so having a camera capable of higher ISO, with the same shutter speed as with a faster lens, AND more depth of field is a good compromise. that also lets you use slower (cheaper) lenses...

tnguyen600

Reaction score
I'd invest in glass...for now. When you shoot more, you'll know what you need more out of a lens or body. For example, my camera is getting kind of old, as in the iso performance isn't that great. The 5d mkii's iso performance is amazing but I would imagine the 60d, 7d or any other newly released body has similar iso performance.

Why the 10-20? Are you doing some rig shots? Landscape? You're going to get a lot of distortion...maybe not so much on a 1.6x. Maybe you're better off with a mid zoom lens like a 17-55 or 24-70 range?

Back