nikon d3000 accessories

tunerbum147

Reaction score
i will hopefully be getting a nikon d3000 soon. i love taking pictures of anything and everything. mostly snowboarding and cars. i have used dslr's before and now finally getting my own. i know its entry level because thats what i am and what my budget permits.

i was lookin around tonight at accessories and not sure what to get. i was lookin at lens hoods cause even with the pictures i have take i have noticed glare and stray light. also lookin at battery grips because i find myself taking a lot of vertical photos but the dis advantage of it with the d3000 is you need the camera set to remote shutter and it doesnt allow for the regular shutter button to work. has anyone here tryed this and found if it was good or bad? or have any advice on accessories i should get. i know many people hear are into photography so i hope for some good advice. thanks in advance :peace:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I've got the same camera, not perfect but I've been pretty happy with it and has some nice aspects for the money.

One thing to keep in mind is if you want autofocus, you need to buy AF-S lenses, not regular Nikon AF lenses. Some lenses will be more expensive as a result.

A battery grip should include a relocated shutter button for you to use. I don't know how I would classify my hori/vert usage, probably 75/25% but I've never felt the desire to buy a camera grip. I've filled up 4gb cards on a single charge (will vary if you rely on the built-in flash).

For other accessories, there are a lot of options for lens hoods, personally I just use a rubber hood. I'd recommend grabbing a UV filter to leave on there and protect your lens. A bag that suits your style never hurts, I like my Lowepro. Lens cap leash is also handy, as is a decent tripod and a wireless shutter remote.

I can't really think of anything else unless you want to spend $100+ on several different accessories. Then of course you have a whole slew of lenses, flashes, tripods, etc etc.

tunerbum147

Reaction score
I've got the same camera, not perfect but I've been pretty happy with it and has some nice aspects for the money.

One thing to keep in mind is if you want autofocus, you need to buy AF-S lenses, not regular Nikon AF lenses. Some lenses will be more expensive as a result.

A battery grip should include a relocated shutter button for you to use. I don't know how I would classify my hori/vert usage, probably 75/25% but I've never felt the desire to buy a camera grip. I've filled up 4gb cards on a single charge (will vary if you rely on the built-in flash).

For other accessories, there are a lot of options for lens hoods, personally I just use a rubber hood. I'd recommend grabbing a UV filter to leave on there and protect your lens. A bag that suits your style never hurts, I like my Lowepro. Lens cap leash is also handy, as is a decent tripod and a wireless shutter remote.

I can't really think of anything else unless you want to spend $100+ on several different accessories. Then of course you have a whole slew of lenses, flashes, tripods, etc etc.

thats some good advice. do you have the kit lens or have you used it and have any feedback on it.

does any one have any experiense with shooting snowboarding or skiing and got some good advice

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
The kit lens is actually pretty good, although there is some barrel distortion & vignetting at certain ranges and I would also like to have a faster lens for indoors. The VR seems to work very well, I'm able to take handheld shots at pretty low shutter speeds most of the time. I haven't bought any other lenses yet, although I've asked for the 35mm f/1.8 ($170) for Christmas as well as the 55-200 f/4 ($150).

kn0x47

Reaction score
^^you'll be happy with that 35mm

Personally i wouldnt buy a vertical grip unless i needed the extra battery or shot portraits for several hours a day. Filters are useful for protection but unless you're spending a good bit of money on them they can cause glare. you'd probably be better off either buying nice UV filters or just lens hoods and a good lens cleaning kit. My lenses came with cheap filters so i just take them off when i'm shooting toward light.

i cant think of many accessories that are that great. a tripod and the wireless nikon remote is good for long exposure and family pictures.... or an external flash if you want to learn more about flash photography...

Last edited:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
Good to know about the lens. Now let's see if I get it haha :D

The D3000 is the worst DSLR camera nikon has made. you'd be better off with a used D40. The D40 will produce better quality pics and has less noise.

What makes you say that, if I can ask? Personally, I find it much easier to use the controls than on other Nikon SLRs I've used, and many P&S's. I frequently use the 11pt AF.

3rd party opinion: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD3000/

The only significant complaint I have about the camera, is noise above ISO 800, although it doesn't get bad until the max settings imo. Noise is the main reason I hardly EVER shoot above ISO 400, but in manual mode I find it easy to shoot at lower ISOs anyways.

We are talking about an entry-level camera. I'd take it over a D40, in addition to everything else it's also easier to print from.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
I will also admit that I have heard it is their worst camera. Supposedly the D40 has less noise at each ISO level. From what it sounds like the only good point of the camera is it's easy to use Menu. Is it an awful camera? No, but when you compare it to even the cheaper D40 it is not worth the extra money.

If money is an issue I would just get the D5000 since the D40 is not around anymore

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
Is it an awful camera? No, but when you compare it to even the cheaper D40 it is not worth the extra money.

I can understand that, i debated which to ask for last year. IIRC, the D40 was about $50 less, after reading reviews on both the things that pushed me towards the D3000 was higher MP & AF system. I'll confess I know MP shouldn't be that much of a deciding factor, but I wasn't able to print some old pictures I have from Wyoming bigger than 5x3" because of low-res and didn't want to run into that problem again lol.

kn0x47

Reaction score
yeah i just looked up current pricing for the d40 and d3000 and its basically the same so its not as big of a deal anymore. it was just that the d3000 was "newer" but not a real improvement over the d40. doesnt the d40 have 11pt AF too? i thought it did but its been a long time sense i've used it.

I can understand about the MP thing tho. I like knowing that i could get a really large print of one of my pics if i wanted to

tunerbum147

Reaction score
i did alot of research before i decided on the d3000. i have heard alot going back and forth. alot saying they love it and some saying they don't. what got me to choose this camera was the way it felt in my hand out of all the entry level cameras i liked this one the bes. although it would be nice to be a little larger part of the main reason i was looking at a battery grip. i also have a friend who does professional wedding and band photography for a living and she shoots with nikon. granted it not the d3000 and one of their highest professional grade camera but she said it was a good entry level camera and with her experience i felt comfortable with my decision.
i havent heard many people say though that it is the worst camera nikon ever made so i guess i will find out.

Back