A lot of white noise in the cabin

bruce9432

Reaction score
1998 Accord, 325,000 miles. Owned since mile 1. Wife used it to commute and finally got a new car which meant it became my around town commuter. Once I started using it I noticed just a lot of noise like distant freeway roar coming into the cabin and it got me to wondering if it were the wheel bearings. Not bad bearings but real tired bearings as going around the earth 13 times tired.

Just wondering if it can be diagnosed and how easy is the fix. The car is in good shape. Second engine, third tranny (AAMCO lifetimes) worth about thousand bucks so the dealer is out and DIY is a must.

I can live with the noise but still like that aha moment when it's put back together and you actually fix something.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
There are a lot of places to get noise. By the time you hear wheel bearings, you're looking at a bunch of other problems, typically.

I find that the interior fan is quite loud in my Accord. Places to check first is exhaust, since that's a major source of noise. It could also be tire road noise, or brake drag (Though again,that's likely to have other repercussions.)

Can it be diagnosed? Sure. Exhaust noise will happen in neutral with the car not moving, and will get louder as RPM increases (lower gear) and is not necessarily speed related. Tire road noise won't happen if the front end of the car is jacked up so that the wheels are off the ground (This requires care that the car can't fall off of ts!) Brake drag will happen then, too.

Bearing or driveline noise will happen differently under accel or decel conditions if it's on the drive wheels. On the non driven wheels, it can be different when the brakes are engaged.

Back