(Mikey) Anyone color sanded??

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has color sanded their car themselves and how hard it was. I have done some research and I think I have the patience for it and I think with the right equipment it could come out great.

What do you think???

Last edited:

Crono139

Reaction score
It gets rid of the blemishes in the top coat, but is risky for those unfamiliar with it. You have to be very careful to not scratch your paint with the sandpaper. One little slip-up could lead to a big headache.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
what you mean by color sanding?

Some people call it wet sanding, but it's basically a method or restoring your paint. You use a 1000 to 1200 grit sand paper and wetsand the entire car. It removes oxidation, scratches, swirls and minor imperfections in the paint. After sanding you buff the car with a variable speed buffer with a sheepskin pad and rubbing compound. Then you polish with a foam pad at lower RPM. Then you wax. This whole process is supposed to restore the pain to like new condition or better.

Your actually sanding imperfections out of the clearcoat.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
cantafordaccord said:
sounds like you would need a new clearcoat after sanding with 1000-2000 grit

1500 is what I would be using. It has very little abrasiveness to it, and your not really supposed to apply very much pressure when sanding. This is kinda like one step up from using a clay bar.

Crono139

Reaction score
I've mainly heard this being used to take care of orange peel.

I doubt I could ever do it myself.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I'd go with 1500-2000..you'll want to wax afterwards..whatever you do don't burn through the clear..otherwise...you're screwed.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
I'd go with 1500-2000..you'll want to wax afterwards..whatever you do don't burn through the clear..otherwise...you're screwed.

Have you done it Shaved??? I was planning on taping off all edges and body lines so I won't burn through, and just go slow and take my time.

Back