DIY - 98-02 Accord Valve Adjustment (4 cylinder, VTEC specific)

CHID0

Reaction score
this should get stickied.....i still gotta do mine but it's too cold out now.

beansbaxter

Reaction score
I did mine this weekend and I have one thing to add to an excellent write-up.

You should add some RTV to the 4 corners of the cam humps. Make sure it's sensor-safe RTV so you don't foul your O2 sensors.

Thanks for the post 6THGEN_AI4 and great photos AFAccord.

Chorilored

Reaction score
I want to do this but I don’t wanna mess up! r u supposed to do the adjustment on the other valves closest to the dash board also?
Cuz in the pictures he just worked on the front ones. Also Where do u turn the crankshaft? Do u just turn the sprocket?
:thumbsup:

Misterd0505

Reaction score
i got a quick question... my car has (recently) been burning some oil and losing compression from idle-about 3500, then it runs fine... my guess was piston rings, but now i'm thinkin maybe my valves just need to be adjusted... does that make any sense?

Misterd0505

Reaction score
yea, that's what i figured and was afraid of ha ha... i can do the rings w/ the engine in the car if i take off the oil pan and head right? just unbolt the rods from the bottom and pull them from the top? thanks for any answers... my car's gettin worse and i'm off the next 2 days so i figure i'll stick my car in the garage and get r' dun

Chorilored

Reaction score
ok....thx
sooo do u just adjust the exhaust valves and not the intake ones?
and after removing the valve cover do u need a new gasket?

AFAccord

Reaction score
ok....thx
sooo do u just adjust the exhaust valves and not the intake ones?
and after removing the valve cover do u need a new gasket?

You should adjust both intake and exhaust according to specs. If your VC gasket is in good condition (one piece, not stretched, not torn) then you can rub a little oil on it with your finger and reuse it.

Same for all 4cyl motors.

Also, after looking over the FSM, i've found an answer to the mix-up above.

Clearance is as follows:

Intake 0.26mm (0.010in) +/- 0.02mm (0.0008in)
Exhaust 0.30mm (0.012in) +/- 0.02mm (0.0008in)

Also Where do u turn the crankshaft? Do u just turn the sprocket?
:thumbsup:

• Turn the front wheels all the way to the left.
  • In the wheel well, you'll see a small opening. Insert the 19mm socket on an extension through that hole and connect with the crankshaft bolt behind it.
  • Crank the bolt counter clockwise until the arrow on the timing sprocket (at top of timing belt) has the word "UP" facing upwards and in the full upright position.
  • At this point the number 1 cylinder valves (intake AND exhaust) can be adjusted (cylinder 1 will be at Top Dead Center). This is the cylinder closest to the sprocket. You'll notice a "1" on the head, right near that sprocket.
  • When the first cylinder is complete, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees counterclockwise. The "UP" should now be facing the front of the car. Adjust the valves for cylinder 3 (note, from front of car, cylinders look like 4-3-2-1).
  • When cylinder 3 is complete, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees counterclockwise again. "UP" should be at the bottom of the sprocket. Adjust the valves for cylinder 4.
  • When cylinder 4 is complete, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees counterclockwise again. "UP" should be facing the passenger compartment. Adjust the valves for cylinder 2.
  • The rubber gaskets on Honda valve covers are reuseable.

It's all here man.

Last edited:
Back