Clear Coat Dents Very Easily?

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
So my front lip has been having issues so far. Basically it's undergone two repairs (one from me) and four re-paints. After its fourth time of not having issues, I went to pick it up and it has very, very small dents all over it. It was inside for a week or two, so it wasn't hot or anything.

Now I brought it home and left it in my room untouched for a couple days, and just installed it again. Now the lip has finger prints in it, that will not come out, I've tried everything before I resort back to sanding.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you take some pictures of the very small dents you are mentioning? I am going to guess you are referring to "fish eyes" in the paint without me seeing it.

So you are saying the lip was painted and left alone to sit for a total of one week couples days-2 week couple days prior installing?

Usually when the paint is tacky and not fully dried/hardened yet, the clear coat is still soft, prone to chemicals, and easily etched in by any abrasion/or come in contact with something on the surface of the clear.

I would recommend asking the painter what brand paint are they using at the moment, what was their process for prepping it prior spraying, do they have a heated paint booth, or was it air dried?

JEER42

Reaction score
Could be fish eyes like lemon said, hard to tell without a pic. Could also be some type of reaction between coats of primer, paint, filler, etc... Fingerprints means it was touched before the clear or paint completly dried. I would take it back for refinishing if you paid for it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
After you're happy with the way it looks, clearbra it so it's protected. It's a worthy investment.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
u2yjy9yr.jpg
ury9azun.jpg

It's getting worse too

JEER42

Reaction score
Those are fish eyes, will need to be redone. Contamination possibly.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed with Jeer42, that will need to be refinished. Only way to fix it is to sand it back all the way down back to the plastic and start over from scratch. The quality of their work was really poor, and to be able to say it looks okay and let that go out the door just says bad things about the shop's reputation as a reputable/quality work shop.

Wid

Reaction score
Damn how much did they charge for that? They actually handed that product over to you?

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
My friend painted this actually. I really feel for the guy, but he knows as well as I that it will need painted again.

But do you think it's because there isn't enough hardener in the clear possibly?

More money to paint now..........

Pizzaman

Reaction score
wow thats worse than i expected. something contaminated the process or its being mixed wrong

Back