'01 EX auto-off lights not working

goldenchamp

Reaction score
Hi All! I have an '01 EX Sedan (4cyl, 5MT), and I have what seems to be a rather unique issue. EX and above trim 6th gens have a feature that turns the headlights off after 15 seconds if they're left on. Mine used to work, and now if I leave the lights on, the auto-off feature only turns off the parking/turn signal lights, leaving *only* the low beams on. This almost left me with a dead battery! The only thing I can think of that might cause this problem is the turn signal combination switch that I recently replaced. (It was a brand new Beck-Arnley part meant for a 6th gen V6) Is there anything else that would cause this problem? Thanks!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
odd, I have no idea...

I'll look for a wiring diagram, you got one?

need the H/L control diagram.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Have you modified or altered any other electrics on the car (either with the headlights or something else)?

FNCONE

Reaction score
Try connecting the old one back see if it helps. If that doesn't help check If your lights function normal (on and off with switch) If they do your relays are fine. Maybe a bad multiplexor, This system uses all 3 multi's. I'll post the diagram soon

FNCONE

Reaction score
The weird part is you said the corner lights shut off, only the lows stay on? Thats odd being the switch controls both. That would make me suspect the passenger multi, Then some connection towards the drivers. Since by a quick glance looks like it controls the relays for the low and highs. Here are the diagrams. Good Luck.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you'll be looking at a Multiplexor,a relay fail-on is VERY uncommon...but your looking at 2...a left AND right.

That was a fairly convenient diagram post, FNCONE, but is that a Honda diagram? Usually they are 'nicer' :/

goldenchamp

Reaction score
Thanks all! Really the only messing around I've done with the electronics was when I swapped the gross peeling vinyl steering wheel with a leather one from a TL. I wish I had the old stalk, but it's in storage 750 miles away. :p I did replace the headlight assemblies, but that didn't even require disconnecting the battery.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you'll be looking at a Multiplexor,a relay fail-on is VERY uncommon...but your looking at 2...a left AND right.

That was a fairly convenient diagram post, FNCONE, but is that a Honda diagram? Usually they are 'nicer' :/

True relays are hardy, just throwing ideas out there since I went thru 2 batteries before finding out my rear window heater relay was stuck. Those diagrams are alldata. No complaints, love the site and diagrams from them. I never seen honda diagrams.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
True relays are hardy, just throwing ideas out there since I went thru 2 batteries before finding out my rear window heater relay was stuck. Those diagrams are alldata. No complaints, love the site and diagrams from them. I never seen honda diagrams.

Many AllData diagrams are actually stolen from Honda, but look at 'Left H/L Lowbeam (#1)' & Highbeam indicator...I see 'loops'...Useless loops.

James: we have no parking lights in that diagram

Back