Stripped bolt

Darianjr1

Reaction score
So Im recently just buying another Accord of the lot and I wanted to do an oil change for many reasons. I got to lazy and didnt feel like doing it so I went to Wal-Mart lube since I get discounts :). As I wait they eventually tell me my oil plug has been stripped:eekwtf: and it didnt do anything but spin. So my question is should I replace the oil pan all together or what. Im clueless.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Look at the drain bolt. If it’s stripped or the threads are not in that great of shape, replace it. Not sure how that could be though, how would a stripped bolt stay secured in the oil pan…it would just slide out eventually with the vibration of the motor and chassis. I would check the plug hole in the pan as well…hope you don’t have to replace that.

Darianjr1

Reaction score
yea they told me they couldnt get the drain bolt out so they could change the oil. They told me go back to where i got it from smh. They said all it did was spin in the hole.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If it was spinning freely then they should have been able to get the head of the hole out a little bit from the pan, then pry to get the whole bolt out. If it’s spinning freely, what’s keeping it in there?

Darianjr1

Reaction score
not sure think im just going to take it to pep boys today and see the full synopsis of this dang dilemma

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Rip the bolt out, drain the oil, get a bigger bolt from another car, retap the hole for the bigger bolt, use a magnet to collect all metal shavings resulting, insert new bolt, tighten clock-wise but DO NOT overtighten :hihi:

:coffee:

- Nikita

Darianjr1

Reaction score
Rip the bolt out, drain the oil, get a bigger bolt from another car, retap the hole for the bigger bolt, use a magnet to collect all metal shavings resulting, insert new bolt, tighten clock-wise but DO NOT overtighten :hihi:

:coffee:

- Nikita

thanks much ill see what they say 1st with my appt tomorrow Pep Boys was too packed today

Rival13

Reaction score
I've got this same problem now as well with a bad oil drip. I tried to take it out with a 17mm socket wrench and it keeps rotating in place without coming out. Then I tried vice grips to try to pull it onto its thread, but failed. Now I've got a daily oil spill on my driveway

Any real expert advice on this? 0.o All I want to do is take the bolt out and see if the bolt or the oil pan is stripped.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Expert advice:

Take a flathead screwdriver, or small pry bar tool, or moulding removal tool. Start unbolting this bolt counter-clockwise, and catch the edge of the tool that you're using under the lip of the bolt head. While unscrewing, put pressure, use the leverage of the pry bar or finagle a way to get leverage from a screwdriver so that while you're unscrewing it, the tool aids in pulling it out - as if helping it unscew from the location. I do this all the time with stripped bolts, or this works especially well with plastic moulding clips and things similar.

If this doesnt work then try to just take some huge vise-grips and lock them around the head of the bolt, and pull hard while unscrewing it - if there's enough room under the car to work.

Back