Smog test problem

DBO867

Reaction score
Mod please move if this is in the wrong thread.

This has been a real big issue for me. My car just can't seem to pass smog. I have taken it in 3 times already but still no good.

1st time, everything passed except the obd2 check. So the tech just told me drive around 50+ highway miles so my ecu could reprogrammed itself since I had deleted a code the day before.

2nd time I went back, the obd2 test checked out but my emissions test didn't. Which I find pretty odd because the tech suggested that it might be my spark plugs giving too much spark. I replace the copper with platinum, the strange part is, I had these plugs in the car already before I did the first test.

3rd time, which was this morning, right when I pulled up to the rack, my cel popped on. The tech deleted it, told me to hit another 50+ Miles and come back. Couple hours later after hanging out in temecula, I come back to the test spot which is in Perris. That's around 50-60 miles round trip, get on the rack, same thing happens as the 2nd test. Now the tech is saying, maybe I should change out my cap, rotor, spark plug wires, and if I want to, go back to the recommended spark plugs.

The problem is, should I spend some more money replacing these items or should I just go straight to the "special" test. I have the hook up on smog but I'm not trying to spend almost $200 for it.

What do guys think the problem is? What should I do? I need to get this car running, bumming rides off everyone for work is becoming a hassle

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
What code is light on for?

What was result of the fail? Need gas #s.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
EVAP leak, got a fog machine? Prly not. Usual prob:

Cracked/disconnected hose
gas cap
stuck open solenoid valve

IMO, make sure gas cap seal is ok, and tight

Make sure hoses ar on, not cracked

Disconnect hose to manifold from valve, see if you can suck through it, key off!

DBO867

Reaction score
EVAP leak, got a fog machine? Prly not. Usual prob:

Cracked/disconnected hose
gas cap
stuck open solenoid valve

IMO, make sure gas cap seal is ok, and tight

Make sure hoses ar on, not cracked

Disconnect hose to manifold from valve, see if you can suck through it, key off!

I'll try them out on my next day off. Working 12 hours a day puts a roll on me once I get home

Back