Coupe 5MT swap questions

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
You don't need a matching key with the spare ecu, all you need is the VIN to the car that ECU came out of. The dealer can cut the key based off the VIN

Except then he would need the lock cylinder as well. What I was suggesting was that he have the dealer reprogram the immobilizer circuit to match his existing key. I'd even go 1 step further and have a second key made (with a chip in it).

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Have you tried the Doctronic “mobilizer”? I found it in another thread and it seems like a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't. I prefer to keep the existing security features present. Meaning if you don't have a matching "chipped" key, you're not going to start the car (we have a non chipped key that doesn't do anything but unlock the locks).
You do realize that the 97 and earlier Accords and Civics are the #1 stolen car in 40 of the 50 states right? This is because they don't have the immobilizer circuit in them like the 98 on cars do. Also, the only way to steal a 98 on Accord is with a flat bed tow truck.

datechboss101

Reaction score
I haven't. I prefer to keep the existing security features present. Meaning if you don't have a matching "chipped" key, you're not going to start the car (we have a non chipped key that doesn't do anything but unlock the locks).
You do realize that the 97 and earlier Accords and Civics are the #1 stolen car in 40 of the 50 states right? This is because they don't have the immobilizer circuit in them like the 98 on cars do. Also, the only way to steal a 98 on Accord is with a flat bed tow truck.

lol... i've seen 98+ accords being stolen... Just gotta override the immobilizer system, that's all.

Student005

Reaction score

That’s a great point that I didn’t think of that will definitely be considered during the decision making. I just came across a thread about them and it seems reasonable for people who don’t live in high auto theft areas.

capsidx

Reaction score
Dont listen to Rusty, hes our crazy living in the shack out in the woods guy here JK rusty lol. Yea everything he said is spot on. Although Im pretty sure I could make a jumper harness to steal a cg6 its a little more work but still doable. Just need an obd1 harness and ecu and the car is mine. But you can make kill switches like I did to prevent theft. Ive done a few antitheft measures. Ive moved my battery to the trunk so you cant disable my alarm. Ive moved my horn so you cant cut the wire. Ive made a fuel pump switch, and ignition switch to prevent theft. No matter what ecu you put in you cant complete the fuel pump or ignition circuit unless you go around the switches. Which are very well hidden. I needed to take these measures because swapping the motor required me to use an obd1 ecu and I love my car so, just some food for thought.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Dont listen to Rusty, hes our crazy living in the shack out in the woods guy here JK rusty lol. Yea everything he said is spot on. Although Im pretty sure I could make a jumper harness to steal a cg6 its a little more work but still doable. Just need an obd1 harness and ecu and the car is mine. But you can make kill switches like I did to prevent theft. Ive done a few antitheft measures. Ive moved my battery to the trunk so you cant disable my alarm. Ive moved my horn so you cant cut the wire. Ive made a fuel pump switch, and ignition switch to prevent theft. No matter what ecu you put in you cant complete the fuel pump or ignition circuit unless you go around the switches. Which are very well hidden. I needed to take these measures because swapping the motor required me to use an obd1 ecu and I love my car so, just some food for thought.

Hey, did you somehow look me up on Google earth?? Because I resemble that remark.:henry: I'm on 5.43 acres here, with woods. ;)

But yes, once you back track to obd1 you've disabled the theft prevent measures Honda built in. This means you need to do something else to keep your car yours. Honda's first major line of defense was the immobilizer circuit. They saw all of the reports of Hondas being stolen, and the insurance companies complaining about them not offering something to help prevent thefts. That was their answer, and they've used it since on all models.

Sure you could carry an extra ECU, an adapter harness, and probably a "hammer key" to disable the steering lock, but not everyone has those items laying around. And even with everything Capsidx did to his car, a roll back tow truck will snatch it out of a parking lot or driveway.

But yes, I live in a low crime area, and don't even lock my car doors. My garage yes, my home yes, but my vehicles, no.

capsidx

Reaction score
Well obviously theres virtually nothing you can do to stop a tow truck from taking your car except for sandwiching it between two cars. I just took measures to stop local thieves. It should stop virtually anyone really but where theres a will theres a way lol.

Student005

Reaction score
Hey, did you somehow look me up on Google earth?? Because I resemble that remark.:henry: I'm on 5.43 acres here, with woods. ;)

But yes, once you back track to obd1 you've disabled the theft prevent measures Honda built in. This means you need to do something else to keep your car yours. Honda's first major line of defense was the immobilizer circuit. They saw all of the reports of Hondas being stolen, and the insurance companies complaining about them not offering something to help prevent thefts. That was their answer, and they've used it since on all models.

Sure you could carry an extra ECU, an adapter harness, and probably a "hammer key" to disable the steering lock, but not everyone has those items laying around. And even with everything Capsidx did to his car, a roll back tow truck will snatch it out of a parking lot or driveway.

But yes, I live in a low crime area, and don't even lock my car doors. My garage yes, my home yes, but my vehicles, no.

Yea I don’t hear of many cars in my area being stolen but with my luck some scumbag would try to take my baby so I think I’m gonna go the safe route but we’ll see. But man 5+ acres.. that sounds lovely lol

Back