Coolant sitting in engine bay - need some reassurance

inv4zn

Reaction score
So I was cleaning out the IACV, but I stupidly ordered the I4 gasket instead of the V6 (thinking they were the same).

While taking off the IACV, I got some coolant everywhere (accidentally applied pressure to main hose, so its not a 'small' amount.

I wiped off what I could, and most fell through to the bottom, but I'm sure there's still some lying in creases, etc.

Now, obviously, with the intake off and the TB exposed I can't wash the engine bay with water...would it be alright for the car to sit like that until Monday morning when the new gasket comes in?

I do smell a bit of that acidic smell, but I'm hoping its just the coolant on the floor of my garage...

Any words of advice/reassurance?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Coolant doesnt hurt anything, but as it ages it becomes corrosive. But not enough to hurt anything overnight. I would go head and change your coolant if you havent in a while.

Coolant is VERY toxic to animals, it smells and taste sweet. Just a tea spoon full is enough to do some damage, if you got small kids too. Just clean it up with some soap and water immediately.

Last edited:

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
Coolant is VERY toxic to animals, it smells and taste sweet. Just a tea spoon full is enough to do some damage, if you got small kids too. Just clean it up with some soap and water immediately.

my neighbor fed my old dog antifreeze on purpose cuz he "barked too much". RIP :sad:

inv4zn

Reaction score

Yup, cleaned it up well enough and its not in an area where kids can come by. If it kills some rats in my underground parking lot, then fine haha

my neighbor fed my old dog antifreeze on purpose cuz he "barked too much". RIP
...wtf. I hope you did something about that

nyknick1015

Reaction score
u will be fine... ive spillled coolant on engine parts thousands of times...

maybe not a thousand but u know

inv4zn

Reaction score
u will be fine... ive spillled coolant on engine parts thousands of times...

maybe not a thousand but u know

Cool, thanks a lot.

Enough reassurance for me hahah

Mods can feel free to lock unless new information is added =)

riCewu

Reaction score
Oh here my interpretation to this from experience. Btw sorry for not telling you earlier got side tracked. But yeah I've spilt a good amount of coolant on my instructor durangos enjne bay and he told me to just leave it lmao! It sat in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for parts to come as well with the coolant sitting there so it should be good.

Got my coils and new plugs yes all six! Want to help me clean iacv next week? Or over the weekend if ur not busy?

storms

Reaction score
Ya coolant spilled aint gonna hurt your car!! and I'll see you inv4zn tomorrow with that new IACV gasket!!

Back