Compression tester stuck- really screwed myself this time!!

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
SO i was trying to check the compression on my 98 Accord LX sedan. When I threaded the end of the tester hose down into the plug hole, I must have done it too tight (even though I only lightly hand tightened it.) problem is on my particular compression tester, the end of the hose is fitted with an 18mm fitting, then if you want to use 14mm (for the Honda) there is a 14mm adapter that actually screws into the 18mm fitting. So what happened is I tightened it so that when I tried to unscrew the tester, ONLY the hose with the 18mm fitting on the end came out- it unthreaded from the 14mm adapter part that is still stuck in the hole.
So in desperation, I tried threading the tester hose with 18mm end BACK into the 14mm adpater still stuck down in there a bit tighter, and guess what- when i tried to unthread it this time, the hose just started swiveling around the 18mm fitting!! In a fit of rage I pulled the hose as hard as I could and sure enough the end of the hose POPPED off of the 18 mm fitting, leaving the 14mm adapter, 18mm hose fitting, and the round nozzle part of the fitting that is supposed to compress-fit on to the hose stuck down in the hole!nly thing I can see when i look down the hole is the round nozzle that is supposed to be attached to the end of the hose, sticking up inside the spark plug sleeve- and I have no kind of vice grips or anything thin enough to stick down there and try to wrench it loose. What I am I supposed to do?? Help!!!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Extension + whatever socket 'almost' fits + hammer to get socket on

I still have a snapon 3/8 drive, drill thing, cause I have a nice 3/8 impact that works like a drill.

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Extension + whatever socket 'almost' fits + hammer to get socket on

I still have a snapon 3/8 drive, drill thing, cause I have a nice 3/8 impact that works like a drill.

xci, you're a genius!! That worked perfectly- I used a 5mm socket and hammered it down on top of the nozzle, the nozzle and the adapter part spun right out- however the 14mm adapter is still stuck down in there- NO idea how to get it out as something like a bolt or spare spark plug or something needs to be screwed into it tight enough to loosen it from the plug hole when I try twisting it back out, instead of the bolt or whatever simply spinning out of the adapter. Any ideas on that one?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, your 'screwing somethin in' won't work. Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey, so the spark plug will come loose.

Pro:
I got some 'extractors' external and internal, like a left-hand screw, with sharp, enlarging, peak, to thread LEFT to get in (looks like screw) or on (looks like nut/socket). sets might be at sears or harbor freight, I got mine from a snap on guy.

Ghetto: hammer in or on somethin that don't -quite- fit. Like an allen key.

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks xci- I finally got it, the center of that adapter had a small opening, and I was able to hammer a long philips screwdriver into it and then twist it out. Thanks again for your help

xci.ed6

Reaction score
When you start using a bolt for the wrong thing, a 10 mil becomes an M6x1.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't quite understand what I said there...

An m6 bolt is 10mm drive, m8 is 12mm drive, m10 is 14mm drive, then m12 is 17mm drive, odd things happen with other sizes or manufacturers.

I don't know why locktite came up though, but you should never use locktite on a spark plug. You can use antisieze on one though, if you're bored, I usually don't.

Locktite = 'epoxy', do you really want plastic where you need electricity? (spark: down center, *spark* gap, out threads)
Antisieze = aluminum based, a conduction enhancer

Back