amp to factory radio?

RedAccord02

Reaction score
I have a set of component speakers and a amp that i wanted to use with the factory radio i was wondering if its possible to connect the amp or will i have to get a after market hu . i dont know too much about hooking up car systems so wanted to get some advice from the community

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
I have a set of component speakers and a amp that i wanted to use with the factory radio i was wondering if its possible to connect the amp or will i have to get a after market hu . i dont know too much about hooking up car systems so wanted to get some advice from the community

The simple answer is that you will need a line-output converter. It works off of your factory wiring, and allows you to use your factory head unit. Check out these parts.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2s2Cqj1mEui/g_721/Line-Output-Converters.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sMjqpTd0AzU/learn/reviews/20030812/oem_amps.html?page=4
any further questions let me know.. i installed for 2.5 years. MECP cert.

Soundmanred

Reaction score
What is the model of your amplifier?
Some have line-level inputs on them as well as RCA inputs.
If it has line-level inputs, you can hook your speaker wire into it, that's where it gets the signal.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
The really bad way, use line level converters. The bad way, use the line level converters on your amp if it has it. The good way is to use a device like the JL Clean Sweep that will actually enhance the sound of your stock stereo when combined with an amp.

I would just buy a new headunit to go along with it. If you are dead set on the oem, than use the JL unit (I don't know if there is anything better now, that has been out for awhile but costs a bit) but a quality aftermarket headunit has better controls. The stock headunit with line level converters is not going to sound nearly as good as either of these options.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
i bought me a aftermarket h/u a pioneer problem solved thx for the help tho

PaulD

Reaction score
The cleansweep is not needed if your OEM headunit doesn't alter the sound any (like a 6th Gen Accord)

talontsiawd

Reaction score
The cleansweep is not needed if your OEM headunit doesn't alter the sound any (like a 6th Gen Accord)

Well, every headunit alters sound. Every headunit is going to have a DAC which is what "makes" sound come from binary code, unless you only listen to radio.

I don't really know how good/bad the factory HU is on our cars, I do know that I would rather run line level to a quality component than a cheap amp or line level converters. Most high end amps don't have line level converters to begin with so that is my reasoning for that.

Back