Drilling out a bolt

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Anyone ever done this?

I have a stripped bolt in the engine bay that I need to get out.

070_zps60a50de3.jpg

It's the one near the windhield washer fluid cap(blue cap).

Don't want to have to remove the bumper/headlight, so I am thinking it will have to take a steady hand with a grinder and then a drill bit to get it out.

Definately don't want the paint damaged either, so, I am open to other suggestions people have.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
So it is just spinning freely but not coming out? You can try a diamond cutoff wheel, or drill it out. I’d probably do the latter because even if you can cut the head off you would have to drill out the rest. Unless you don’t plan on using that hole again.

When I drilled out my rear rotor screws I bought a set of carbide tipped bits for my DeWalt corded and went at them. Start with a small bit and work your way to whatever the final size needed is (guessing 1/8” or 3/16” for a 10mm bolt – remove a similar bolt and measure). I also put oil on the heads of the bits often, to help keep them from overheating while applying pressure.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
10mm head are 6x1 thread, standard M6

But yeah, different stuff:
Stuck
Spins

SykVSyx

Reaction score
No, head of the bolt is pretty stripped.

I figure if it can be carefully cut off, it won't be hard to get the shaft of the bolt out without damaging the hole.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If stuck, usually an'EZ Out' works. Drill a hole ~4mm diameter, 6mm long, hammer in EZ Out tight

Tunrning it will pull it in till it pops loose.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Oh in that case you could first try dremeling a slot into the head, then turn it with a large flathead screwdriver. Shouldn't be that tight. Or put a flathead attachment in your drill if it is.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Oh in that case you could first try dremeling a slot into the head, then turn it with a large flathead screwdriver. Shouldn't be that tight. Or put a flathead attachment in your drill if it is.

It cracked my socket when I first tried to loosen it. NO idea why it was so hard to loosen.

Didn't think of this option though, will give that a try as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back