CEL after catback install

james'99

Reaction score
Well, as I suspected, it is a VTEC malfunction, though it usually due to low oil (oil pressure). Why super high? Just to verify, you wiped the dipstick and checked it car off, right?

You can pull the entire solenoid disassembling, cleaning with brake cleaner and reassembling and at that point, replace the gasket. You'll also want to take the oil pressure switch off the solenoid and clean that individually. You may even be able to get away doing only that because carbon likes to build up in that small hole but usually I do a full tear-down and rebuild of those solenoids because it is not very time consuming. 4 cyl or 6 cyl?

EDIT: When you say high, not overfull, right?

BlankWoody

Reaction score
Its a 4 cyl.
By high i mean. I cleaned the dipstick and stuck it back in. and the oil level was probably half way up. I let my car cool down and i just checked it a couple minutes ago, it went back to normal. Its definitely not overfull. The solenoids are next the air compressor right? Is it tricky getting those solenoids out?

james'99

Reaction score
Its a 4 cyl.
By high i mean. I cleaned the dipstick and stuck it back in. and the oil level was probably half way up. I let my car cool down and i just checked it a couple minutes ago, it went back to normal. Its definitely not overfull. The solenoids are next the air compressor right? Is it tricky getting those solenoids out?

I serviced my EGR and VTEC solenoid together. I believe that the EGR valve blocks a single bolt on the VTEC solenoid if it isn't removed, but I don't recall fully. I will certainly look in the daylight tomorrow for you but its general location on the intake on the passenger side of the head.

EDIT: The right box wrench may be able to get in there.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the vtec gasket/solenoid.

Change the oil, clean or replace the gasket, clear the code. You should be fine.

15825-P0A-015

BlankWoody

Reaction score
Alright guys. I woke up today, and the code was gone. It still felt a little rough but this time it went passed 3k rpms. Either way Im gonna clean the solenoid and change the oil with the gasket this weekend. I probably have a cleaner somewhere in the garage, and i might as well seafoam my engine. Thanks for the help guys, ill get back to you guys.

james'99

Reaction score
Alright guys. I woke up today, and the code was gone. It still felt a little rough but this time it went passed 3k rpms. Either way Im gonna clean the solenoid and change the oil with the gasket this weekend. I probably have a cleaner somewhere in the garage, and i might as well seafoam my engine. Thanks for the help guys, ill get back to you guys.

Do the seafoam before cleaning the solenoid. When I did this job my first time, it was on an Acura Integra GSR right after seafoaming. It caused a build up of carbon in the oil pressure switch which triggered the code. At least that's what I attributed it to.

BlankWoody

Reaction score
Do the seafoam before cleaning the solenoid. When I did this job my first time, it was on an Acura Integra GSR right after seafoaming. It caused a build up of carbon in the oil pressure switch which triggered the code. At least that's what I attributed it to.

Thanks for the heads up will do, ill update you guys after i get it done. Hopefully everything goes back to normal. Thanks for the advice again.

Back