Turn signals dont blink.

cg4

Reaction score
Hello :afro:

I got 99 accord coupe i4 and the turn / hazard lights stopped blinking. They just stay permanently lit when i switch them on. Google says (not specifically about this car but I'm guessing this could be one of those things that works the same for all makes) this can happen if one of the lights is out but none of mines are out. Checked the fuse and it seems to be fine. Anyone had this before?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
When they are permanently lit, is it the bright or dim leads that are illuminating? And is this happening front and back?

cg4

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by bright/dim leads. It is happening front and back. If i turn left/right turn signal on i get perm lit that side or all of them with hazard (front rear and fender on each side) the indicator arrows on the dash also stay on and don't blink. I think its the flash relay (google said so lol) haven't found where it is located yet tho.

slowrider87

Reaction score
It's either the turn signal switch (the stick thingy on the steering column that turns them on or off) or the relay. Those are you're best bets. They didn't have any testing procedure for the switch on all data but here's a testing procedure for the relay.

You'll need a piece if spare wire with the insulation still on in the middle and both ends stripped and a DVOM (voltage meter)

I cut off step one to make all the other steps fit into one frame.

Step 1: Remove the turn signal/hazard relay (A) from the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box (B).
turnsignaltest_zpse3ac1bb3.png

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by bright/dim leads. It is happening front and back. If i turn left/right turn signal on i get perm lit that side or all of them with hazard (front rear and fender on each side) the indicator arrows on the dash also stay on and don't blink. I think its the flash relay (google said so lol) haven't found where it is located yet tho.

I mean when you say they stay permanently lit, are they lit up as the running light (dim lead), or as the turn signal/hazard (bright lead)? When you flip on your turn signal and/or hazard switch, do you hear the normal clicking from the flasher?

As for the flasher unit location, give it a search, there are a couple threads that point out where the flasher unit is. If it is the flasher, you can get a replacement for $10-$15.

cg4

Reaction score
This is how it looks with lights out just turn/hazard on. Switching any other lights on does not change anything. (add http in front i cant post links) nyx.lv/tmp/IMG_0008.JPG. In daylight i would have said its dim but now it looks bright :confused: It does not make clicking sound.

Will try the relay test tomorrow. Thanks for response. Appreciated a lot.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
turn on a turn signal (L or R) with key on, whack fuse box (open palm)

does it click?

find what does, replace

prolly flasher, at any parts store, if at advance auto, below bulbs, next to fuses.

cg4

Reaction score
Problem mysteriously fixed: took out the flash relay to do the test and everything worked as expected. After that i put the supposedly faulty relay in because any lights are better than none until i get a replacement and surprisingly it just works again. :wtf:

Back