Need help with an electrical problem on my truck.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal I'll explain the best that I can..

1992 Ford F150
v8
4x4

I just replaced the starter solenoid (fender mounted) yesterday. Truck started and ran fine. Drove it for around 20 miles or so. Stopped by the store, turned the truck off for about 30 minutes. Came back, truck started fine and I drove back home. About 2 minutes after getting home I decided I needed to move the truck so I could try and put the snow tires on my car. The truck was dead, battery gauge was showing at around 8 amps. So this is where I am stumped. When I left for the store the battery was charging and showing between 12-14 amps on the gauge. It didn't cut out, die and had no rough idle. I suspected at first the Alt but that makes no sense if it was charging before hand unless it's beginning to go out. I checked all the belts, they were tight and within specs. The only other thing that would come to mind is that starter solenoid I installed. There is no draw on the battery I already checked that...so any suggestions?

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
8 amps from the battery is low, sounds like its not recharging.

I doubt its the alternator at fault if you weren't having any issues once the car was running

shavedaccord

Reaction score
8 amps from the battery is low, sounds like its not recharging.

I doubt its the alternator at fault if you weren't having any issues once the car was running
So what your saying that there is a possibility that the battery is no longer any good, but the alt is keeping it charged while running but once it's turned off the battery just drains? But I still don't understand how I was able to turn it off for 30 minutes at the store and it start up just fine?

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
So what your saying that there is a possibility that the battery is no longer any good, but the alt is keeping it charged while running but once it's turned off the battery just drains? But I still don't understand how I was able to turn it off for 30 minutes at the store and it start up just fine?

yeah the at the store thing is weird, unless you only live a few minutes from the store and maybe the battery didn't recharge (I'm assuming its 20 miles each way though). your battery's just supposed to hold up a charge to start the car, then once you're running the alt powers pretty much everything and recharges the battery.

easy way to check the battery without going anywhere though is to charge it up tonight, and check it in the morning and see if it held the charge.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
yeah the at the store thing is weird, unless you only live a few minutes from the store and maybe the battery didn't recharge (I'm assuming its 20 miles each way though). your battery's just supposed to hold up a charge to start the car, then once you're running the alt powers pretty much everything and recharges the battery.

easy way to check the battery without going anywhere though is to charge it up tonight, and check it in the morning and see if it held the charge.
It's about 5 miles each way but I drove a total of 20 or so testing the 4x4 system and what not to make sure everything worked properly. Would there be a draw on the battery if it was bad? or just the cells not holding any? Because there is no draw on the battery at this time.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
It's about 5 miles each way but I drove a total of 20 or so testing the 4x4 system and what not to make sure everything worked properly. Would there be a draw on the battery if it was bad? or just the cells not holding any? Because there is no draw on the battery at this time.

they just wouldn't hold their charge, just like how any battery isn't good after a certain age regardless of its use.

the only thing I can think of w/ the starter is if maybe there's a short in the leads somewhere, that could drain the battery pretty quick, but it'd be hard to miss something like that while putting it in.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Quick update.

I went and purchased a new battery today since I discovered the one in the truck currently was too small anyway. The truck started up fine but it didn't seem to be charging. The amp guage was still reading in the 9-10 AMP range running at 2,000 RPM. Also the Battery check light came on so I'm assuming it's the ALT. I'm pulling it tomorrow to have it bench tested so I hope that is the problem.

Last edited:
Back