How do I wire 2 channel to 4 channel?

Johnson

Reaction score
Hi I'm a noob in audio so please dont flame me. I have tried searching for this problem but I cant find the solution.

When I first got my audio every speaker worked (2 2 channel amps). One night only 1 of the speakers worked (rear right). I thought the problem was that the nobrand 2 channel amp broke so I replaced it with a 4 channel and the problem still exists. My question is how do I wire the rca cables? Thanks!

The 2 amps:
(2 channel connected to the subs)
101_0116.jpg

101_0118.jpg
101_0120.jpg

(4 channel connected to the speakers)
101_0125.jpg

The Wires (I think I need more? What kind of wires do I get?):
101_0126.jpg

finch13

Reaction score
Method 1:
Connect HU Front & Rear -> Speaker Amp Front & Rear IN
Connect Speaker Amp OUT -> Sub Amp IN
(Requires 2 cables and HU with 2 preouts OR HU with 1 pre-out -> splitter -> amp front and rear)

Method 2:
Connect HU Front Pre-Out -> Speaker Amp Front IN,
Connect HU Rear Pre-Out -> Speaker Amp Rear IN,
Connect HU Sub Pre-Out -> Sub Amp IN
(Requires 3 cables and HU with 3 pre-outs)

Johnson

Reaction score
Method 1:
Connect HU Front & Rear -> Speaker Amp Front & Rear IN
Connect Speaker Amp OUT -> Sub Amp IN
(Requires 2 cables and HU with 2 preouts OR HU with 1 pre-out -> splitter -> amp front and rear)

Method 2:
Connect HU Front Pre-Out -> Speaker Amp Front IN,
Connect HU Rear Pre-Out -> Speaker Amp Rear IN,
Connect HU Sub Pre-Out -> Sub Amp IN
(Requires 3 cables and HU with 3 pre-outs)

Thank you! What color goes where on the amp? Sorry for being such a noob but I have no clue at all! I just got a rca cable.

Last edited:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Or if you have RCA cables that are red/black connect the red to red and white to black.

Also as an option you can.

Connect HU front or rear output to the amps input
Connect the left channel of the amp to the front speakers
connect the right channel of the amp to the rear speakers

For the sub,
connect the HU sub output to the amp input
connect the speaker wires from the amp to the subs

PLEASE MAKE SURE you wire negative to negative and positive to positive for the speakers

Johnson

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. When I plugged in the rca cables one of the rca did not play anything so I opened up the stock hu and I found that one of the rca cables was disconnected. I reconnected it but the problem is still there.

Hi/Low:
101_0130.jpg
101_0129.jpg
101_0128.jpg

rca cables:
101_0131.jpg

I'm a retard so could you please tell me which ones? LOL
sub12.jpg
sub3-8.jpg
cord1-4.jpg

THANKS!!!

Last edited:

Accord281

Reaction score
Front RCA: red into 7, white into 4
Rear RCA: red into 8, white into 5

Use cords 1 and 2 for this.

Check your adaptors to see which one is wired to front and which one is rear (look behind deck at wiring). Did you do the wiring yourself or is that all done by someone else?

Johnson

Reaction score
Front RCA: red into 7, white into 4
Rear RCA: red into 8, white into 5

Use cords 1 and 2 for this.

Check your adaptors to see which one is wired to front and which one is rear (look behind deck at wiring). Did you do the wiring yourself or is that all done by someone else?

it was done by someone else. how do i tell which one is front and which one is rear? they look the same to me. when i do that method only the back works. like before. but another problem came up.. when i turn on the engine i hear a whiiiir whir whir whir whir pulsating from the right front speaker on the right.

Last edited:

Accord281

Reaction score
hmm...the white boxes are each wired to the speaker wires coming out of the deck. If you look on those wires, they should have small lettering with "front left +", "front left -", etc. If they don't, check the installation manual for the deck and see which color is what. Whichever box is wired to the ones that say "front" is your front speakers. And, the other is rear. Are both back speakers working now? I would reverse the RCAs and then see if the other speakers work. (do front into 8/5 and rear into 7/4). If this changes the non-working speakers, then I would suspect that one of the channels on the amp doesn't work. If the same speakers don't work, I would suspect that the white box wired to them is bad. That is the more likely situation since you have already changed amps.

Edit: the box wired to white and grey wires is the front and the one wired to green and purple wires is the rear.

Reedit: are you running the factory deck? If so, then you'll have to check a wiring diagram for this because my instructions for checking are only good for aftermarket decks. One way to tell is to set your fade all the way to the rear and then check each RCA to see which one gives you sound.

Last edited:
Back