DIY: Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new here but not to the scene of accord's.

I've done this swap myself a while back and I noticed you're having some troubles with the vss and reverse lamp.

The VSS is really easy. The vss contains 3 wires which are for the ground, power, and signal. The signal stumps a lot of people. On the ecu harness, unhook wire a9 and drop it into c23. Then take signal wire from the vss and tee onto wire c23 of the ecu. Simple.

Here's a link to the diagram of the ecu pins: http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/wiring.obd2b.htm

As for the reverse lamps.. its fairly easy too. The following has been taken from the diy years ago; please excuse some grammatical errors.

The reverse sensor (backup switch) have a yellow cable and a green/black cable. The green/black cable from the switch goes to the white cable on the male end (which is also is white on the female side of the harness) of the AT shift selector cable. If you have the ETM, its Pin #9. The yellow cable is the power. Cross referencing from the Auto and the 5spd Diagram, the yellow cable should be connected to the yellow cable of the shift lock solenoid. The shift lock solenoid harness is actually a 2-pin harness that is located right next to the auto shifter assembly. Use one of those micro screw drivers to pop out the wires from the harness or you could just cut the cable free from the harness. Your choice. **Almost Done** Go to the driver's under-dase fuse/relay box. Look for the harness that is located on the back side of the fuse block and look for Harness "K". I provide a pic of it from the ETM book which is reference number 14 on the diagram. Pop out pin #11 (white cable) and relocate it to pin #2 (should be empty). And that should be it. Test it out.. and enjoy. **A little Disclaimer to cover my @ss... this post should be used just as a reference. So if you end up screwing yourself and others, that is your own fault.. not mine.**

Can anybody provide a pinout for the fuse panel side on the reverse lights. I gave the switch a 12v power supply and used the said white wire. I know I have the right wire as I check for continuity and then 12v after all was hooked up and gearbox in reverse. I'm getting power when I put the car in reverse, but no lights. Thanks!

VonDubz

Reaction score
I just want to add, that if you are going to replace the auto brake pedal with the manual pedal, there are a few things you gotta do.
1. Unbolt the 4 (12mm) bolts that are attached to firewall/brakebooster. Theres one more bolt up on top but you wont be able to see it because the steering column is in the way.
2. I'm going to assume you already pulled the all plastic underdash pieces down, there are 2 bolts also 12mm, holding the column up iirc. they're on a small U shaped bracket. theres the swivel bracket which is also 2 12mm bolts further down the column (this is what lets u adjust the column up and down) unbolt those.

3.once you bring the column down push it over the right. stick ur head under, where the swivel joint is and turn it so it sits straight down, and shine a light inside. Theres a 12mm bolt up isnt there? =).

4.After you remove that bolt, if havent done so remove the cotter pin, and pin from behind the brake pedal attached to the brake master cylinder.

5. Wiggle the brake pedal out and Voila. Install is Reverse.

Hope that helps, cuz I kno many people just hack their pedals, but if u dont. Here u go lol

Snoobly

Reaction score
so i've been struggling with reverse lights for awhile now. ive done everything that the posts say to do. My automatic gauge cluster indicates that it's in reverse, but i don't have lights. also, the indicator stays on even when im not in reverse. WTF? o_O

any ideas?!?!

fricci4993

Reaction score
Okay I am stumped I did the swap, BUT I am using my A.T. ECU because I dont have the harness. I tried tampahobo's way and it didnt work. Is there a way to use the main (large AT tranny plug) that is hanging from the loom already?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Snoobly

Reaction score
Okay I am stumped I did the swap, BUT I am using my A.T. ECU because I dont have the harness. I tried tampahobo's way and it didnt work. Is there a way to use the main (large AT tranny plug) that is hanging from the loom already?

Thanks in advance guys :)

You NEED the manual ECU bro... you don't NEED the harness to make the manual ECU work. every thing plugs right in. you just don't plug the Tranny plug into the ECU.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
You must have a manual ECU for this swap to work properly. The car will operate in limp mode until all of the following requirements have been met. Manual ECU installed, VSS wiring completed. That's it, it is very simple and easy to do.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Great got it.
So I picked up my h22 5 speed trans today! Yay! All i need now is:

-Clutch kit
-Flywheel
-Shift fork
-Manual ECU
-Driver's Axle

Just to clarify... All these parts above need to match the TRANNY right? (Even the fly/clutch kit? Even though it bolts to the block?)
I'm having difficulties understanding all these threads, some say you can reuse your stock axle/intermediate shaft others say half and half, and this thread doesn't specify any details on parts really.

I'm going off the unoffical 5 speed swap parts list.

And anyone know about the h22 tranny electrical socket? The f23 auto plug doesn't just clip in, does it?

Last edited:

Swiftx246

Reaction score
i just completed the swap. ran into a little problem right at the end. my starter doesn't kick over. i put the tranny plug wires together and it shows neutral on the dash. i had to connect the two wires and started it that way and the car starts and runs perfect with the auto ecu. but does anyone have a clue why it doesn't kick over the starter with the key?

Back