DIY: Using OEM Fog Switch with Civic Harness and Foglights

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Ok sounds good. You got an OEM switch then? It won't be hard - have you collected the materials that I recommended in the DIY?

FlipStylie

Reaction score
Hope it goes well! Take a pic after yur install lemon. I'm curious about the fogs...

drey

Reaction score
i should have check here earlier. i tried to get this done over the weekend quickly, and i wasnt careful. i thought i had blew out my multiplexor (low beams, cluster lights, night lights and license plate lights didnt turn on), eventually i found the license fuse broken. ill have to be careful tomorrow. i wanna get this oem switch in... cant wait
thanks for the write up

btw, i pulled out the harness connector for the cruise control from a wrecked accord. didnt feel like taping or soldering wires to the actual switch itself. it's smaller but it works.

drey

Reaction score
Let me know if you run into any issues.

ISSUES!

ok... so i already burnt one fuse over the weekend and it took out my cluster/instrument lights, my low beams, my night lights and my license plate. i thought i had toasted my multiplexor until i found out it was my license plate fuse that broke.

i was just looking at the wiring again and cross referencing it with the first post but too scared to move on, dont want to blow anything this time. i need help, here's the wires that i have.

civicfogwires.jpg

see, both my red wires are stripe-less, and they're connected to each other which is why im pretty confused

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Just to repost both diagrams close to each other for comparison:
46852964cm5.jpg

civicfogwires.jpg

First mistake you made was failing to unplug your battery before doing this. Whenever you do anything electrical, you unplug your juice - otherwise that's what happens - I made sure to explain this to everyone on the first page before even beginning.

On your diagram Drey - where did you get the color scheme for the OEM switch side of the wires? Forget about those. The reason the colors are different is probably because you used that cruise control pigtail, and it's not made for that. Why didn't you use my method of connectors and make your own harness? You're mostly on your own I think.. trial and error.

I'll tell you this though:

Black goes to black for sure (top pin on switch)
Red goes to red for sure (bottom pin on switch)

You have two more wires to play with besides that (4 total). Use trial and error, there's only 4 possible combinations which could work from there - remember one of the wires needs to be spliced into its neighbor, see original diagram.

Last edited:
Back