Flashing check engine light, help

KingCM

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX 4cyl VTEC and I had a P1259 code which is VTEC malfunction. Due to this code my car would not rev above 4k RPM. After conducting a bit of research I found that the problem was the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch so I bought one to replace the old one. While replacing the switch, the old switch let out a little bit of engine oil. After replacing the switch I checked the dipstick and everything seemed fine. I pulled the battery to reset the code and then I started the car. It started a little differently than usual and the idle was a bit rough and the check engine light was blinking. After letting the car warm, I decided to take the car around the block for a test spin to find that the acceleration was rough as well. Also, when I came to a full stop, the car seemed like it was going to shut off but wouldn t. Does anyone know what this could be? Please help.

I haven't been able to scan it yet, I will soon also I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles.

The codes I have now are P0301 which is cylinder 1 misfire and P1399 which is any cylinder misfire.

Last edited:

Dnguyen211

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX 4cyl VTEC and I had a P1259 code which is VTEC malfunction. Due to this code my car would not rev above 4k RPM. After conducting a bit of research I found that the problem was the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch so I bought one to replace the old one. While replacing the switch, the old switch let out a little bit of engine oil. After replacing the switch I checked the dipstick and everything seemed fine. I pulled the battery to reset the code and then I started the car. It started a little differently than usual and the idle was a bit rough and the check engine light was blinking. After letting the car warm, I decided to take the car around the block for a test spin to find that the acceleration was rough as well. Also, when I came to a full stop, the car seemed like it was going to shut off but wouldn t. Does anyone know what this could be? Please help.

I haven't been able to scan it yet, I will soon also I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles.

The codes I have now are P0301 which is cylinder 1 misfire and P1399 which is any cylinder misfire.

Since it's only a 4CYL with one cylinder misfire it will run tough, I had like 3 misfires in my v6 and it ran really rough, probrably as rough as yours so I know the struggle

KingCM

Reaction score
How old are your spark plugs, cap and rotor, and wires?

Nevermind the misfire I found that I accidentally disconnected one of my wires while replacing the pressure switch lol but unfortunately the P1259 came back during my test drive. Anyone know how to fix this?

james'99

Reaction score
Nevermind the misfire I found that I accidentally disconnected one of my wires while replacing the pressure switch lol but unfortunately the P1259 came back during my test drive. Anyone know how to fix this?

Check your oil level. If it is low, it is probably very low. Refill or change, clear light, try again. Otherwise, you are probably looking at changing the screen gasket on the solenoid as it is probably filled with sludge. The oil pressure switches on those things don't really fail. They usually tell you a problem.

KingCM

Reaction score
Check your oil level. If it is low, it is probably very low. Refill or change, clear light, try again. Otherwise, you are probably looking at changing the screen gasket on the solenoid as it is probably filled with sludge. The oil pressure switches on those things don't really fail. They usually tell you a problem.

Yeah my oil level is good and I already replaced the screen, the old one looked pretty decent, maybe I'll just have to replace the whole solenoid.

james'99

Reaction score
Yeah my oil level is good and I already replaced the screen, the old one looked pretty decent, maybe I'll just have to replace the whole solenoid.

Take the whole thing apart and spray it out with brake cleaner. Make sure you put it back together correctly.

The solenoid itself really can't fail.

KingCM

Reaction score
At what RPM did it come back?

How much throttle were you using?

OK I'll try to clean it again soon, it came back at about 3900 RPM, the car won't go past 4k, and I'm a little bit of a rookie at this so what do you mean by throttle?

james'99

Reaction score
OK I'll try to clean it again soon, it came back at about 3900 RPM, the car won't go past 4k, and I'm a little bit of a rookie at this so what do you mean by throttle?

Throttle Position - How far were you pushing the gas pedal?
But that's irrelevant because the RPMs are pretty high and that's where I would expect the code to come back. Did it come back in first gear or a higher gear? I'd spray brake clean in the original oil switch to clean out the sludge and put it back on. Just watch your eyes. I learned my lesson. Haha! Also, see if there is sludge in the ports on the engine side.

Last edited:
Back