JDMCG3's N/A H22 Build (Last Update: 03/12/2012)

jdmcg3

Reaction score
Also since I already deleted my A/C on my stock motor, I plan on still not running A/C once I do the swap. But does any one know what belt I need? Since there is no dx model of the prelude, cause both base and type-sh come with A/C

answer: 6 rib 36" belt

AFAccord

Reaction score
I don't remember what your goals were, but hopefully here's something to consider.

Clicky

-Stock block H22 (has Eagle rods, but I'm sure the same results could be had on shot peened stockers)
-Type S pistons (11:1cr)
-Intake Manifold
-Throttle Body
-Cams
-BS Delete
-Good Header
-Tuning
---------------------------------
236whp

Just remember that you don't have to reinvent the wheel to get very respectable results.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
thanks buddy. when i posted in your thread i was talking about trying to still do the f23 crank. i re-read all the stuff we talked about.. decided against it again lol. i just really wanted to stroke the motor to a 2.4 liter.. and be one of the first known person to do it. its been talked about over and over again.. but i cant find anyone to actually complete it.

but im really looking for a way to bring my c/r to atleast 12.0:1. seeing as how ill need it to make the 250whp mark. but i guess ill have to rock out what i got.. seeing as i have everything to put the motor together.. just need to take it all to the machine shop.

i think youre right.. i keep trying to do to much for my first build thats going into a heavy *** car

jdmcg3

Reaction score
a little something i found for us h22 guys... copied from kaizen's website

H22 Timing Tensioner

KAIZENSPEED’s new H22 Timing Tensioner directly replaces the stock H22 auto tensioner and eliminates the annoying H23 manual tensioner conversion. The stock H22 automatic tensioner, also called a hydro tensioner is known for premature failure, causing bent valves at the least. The H22 Timing Tensioner eliminates the need for an H23 manual tensioner conversion. Instead of spending your time reading how-to articles, this tensioner allows you to simply remove two bolts and replace your failed tensioner with one that can never fail! Never use H23 manual tensioner conversion parts again! For nearly a decade now, all of us H22 guys have had the problem of failed auto/hydro timing belt tensioners. I’ve seen the stock H22 auto tensioner fail more times than I can count. Brand new, OEM tensioners often fail in a matter of months, leaving you dead in the water with bent valves. In the old days, we would use the H23 manual tensioner parts, which had a host of annoyances. Installation was time consuming and there are a lot of little parts involved in the conversion. The H23 tensioner spring can come off it’s post and get chewed up by the timing belt. And most importantly the H23 tensioner pulley was larger which made installing the timing belt a real pain! CNC machined from billet aluminum with a hardened tension rod and jam nut. The custom-made adjustment wrench included with each tensioner makes for an easy, five minute installation during a timing belt change.

http://www.kstuned.com/detail.src?SKU=Kai-H22TT&C=&S=

and its roughly the same price as the h23 manual tension conversion

jdmcg3

Reaction score
small status update:

CONVERTING TO H23VTEC BUILD! :rock:

i posted up my block, acl bearings, rods, and pistons up for sale this past week. sold my pistons tonight to a guy building a type-s rep for hes 92 accord wagon.
who just happens to work at Honda. and he also wants the rods. so we worked out a trade deal.. hes going to be giving me a h23a1 long block, brand new Honda oil pump, and brand new Honda head gasket for the rods!

also im upping my numbers for what im shooting for... 260-270whp. since this guy with the wagon made 246whp with a jdm h22a (non type-s) that only has type-s cams and a gutted manifold with a 68mm tb. and nothing else. so im hoping with 12.1 c/r and a fully built PnP head my numbers will come true.

AFAccord

Reaction score
I've always favored the H23a1 for a swap, though I wouldn't be so quick to up your numbers.

With the longer stroke of the H23 you'll make more torque, but your power band is lower than the H22, meaning you won't be zinging as high for peak HP numbers. Less HP, better power band. It's a tradeoff I'd be willing to make myself. Of course you can always build an engine to make power higher up with enough money, but there are compromises with that as well.

Anyway, Roscoe will be your new best friend Rosko Racing, and you'll need every bit of his help if you want to get 270 out of that motor. He has several build threads on H-T you can check out, but I don't recall him making those kinds of numbers, even with his infinite collection of custom parts he can produce. I think his latest venture was going to a B-series trans in his Prelude IIRC.

Sonnick

Reaction score
Good luck with the build man. 250+ whp out of an H is great. I've seen a few over that, but not many. I'm also not an avid "H" guy, but I know they are good motors. I'd definitely suggest aftermarket cams for your power goal. I find it impossible to reach those numbers on stock cams.

There have been many good things said about the Hondata S300. Would you ever consider going with Neptune? I've heard equally great things about them and I believe their unit is a bit cheaper than the S300. I'm not 100% sure they have something for the H, but I'd imagine they would.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
I've always favored the H23a1 for a swap, though I wouldn't be so quick to up your numbers.

With the longer stroke of the H23 you'll make more torque, but your power band is lower than the H22, meaning you won't be zinging as high for peak HP numbers. Less HP, better power band. It's a tradeoff I'd be willing to make myself. Of course you can always build an engine to make power higher up with enough money, but there are compromises with that as well.

Anyway, Roscoe will be your new best friend Rosko Racing, and you'll need every bit of his help if you want to get 270 out of that motor. He has several build threads on H-T you can check out, but I don't recall him making those kinds of numbers, even with his infinite collection of custom parts he can produce. I think his latest venture was going to a B-series trans in his Prelude IIRC.

yeah i might be jumping the gun a little with upping the numbers.. but we'll see. although i do have some very nice parts picked out that i think could help make it close to those numbers.

Good luck with the build man. 250+ whp out of an H is great. I've seen a few over that, but not many. I'm also not an avid "H" guy, but I know they are good motors. I'd definitely suggest aftermarket cams for your power goal. I find it impossible to reach those numbers on stock cams.

There have been many good things said about the Hondata S300. Would you ever consider going with Neptune? I've heard equally great things about them and I believe their unit is a bit cheaper than the S300. I'm not 100% sure they have something for the H, but I'd imagine they would.

thank you. i hope i can finish the damn thing by the end of this yr..

but the cams will be one of the last things picked out.. once the block is assembled and a few other things in place.. i wanna make sure i get the P2V clearance measured correctly. i hoping i can run Pro1 cams from skunk2. but ive read the h23 with type-s pistons cut it close on the p2v clearance.

yeah ive been hearing alot about alternative options to the s300 lately.. my buddy who builds B series was trying to tell me to just go with Chrome.. but ive read nothing but good things about the hondata other than the price.. but im not to worried about that cost since i see em floating around on prelude forum and honda tech for a fraction of the retail price...

Back