F23a1 turbo build

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
The MAX psi that the f23 can hold was i think 18psi and that only lasted 2 pulls on the dyno.

15 could last you a week

vtecaccord88

Reaction score
Like i said I guess Ill see what happens..I'm going to tune it at 8lbs to start and see where i can go from there. I have a spare f23 block and a skunk2 H22 head sitting in my garage waiting so if it blows i am ready to do the swap

vtecaccord88

Reaction score
UPDATE: car was all put together and was tuned on a p28 at 7 pounds...wastegate ended up failing when i started it one day so the wastegate was stuck open at idle setting the idle at 2600..so awaiting a replacement wastegate and then getting dyno tuned at 9 pounds..on a stock motor

hotaccord243

Reaction score
what kinda numbers did you make on 7 psi? what did you use to tune?

Interested in numbers, pictures, dyno, anything also.

He said a chipped p28 with a jumper harness he was using. It still severely limits your tuning capabilities with regards to his goals with a stock motor however.

What wastegate did you use that would fail at 7psi?

We need some more info from you OP... anything really. Does your tuner have any experience with a F23 motor? It's completely different than any other Honda motor out there.....

If it is true though. best of luck in the whole deal. But some pictures or anything would help us out greatly.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Interested in numbers, pictures, dyno, anything also.

He said a chipped p28 with a jumper harness he was using. It still severely limits your tuning capabilities with regards to his goals with a stock motor however.

What wastegate did you use that would fail at 7psi?

We need some more info from you OP... anything really. Does your tuner have any experience with a F23 motor? It's completely different than any other Honda motor out there.....

If it is true though. best of luck in the whole deal. But some pictures or anything would help us out greatly.
+1

what is so different about the f23 when it comes to tuning? Curious since I'll be tuning mine when I finally get it together.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
^ + 1 I'm sure Devin can shed some light for us tuner noobs haha

ha-ha. Trust me, i'm not remotely close to an expert either... but:

Well mainly i was speaking in regards to the stock f23 and f series motor. Most of you know that the ringlands (piston rings) are the weakest link in our motors. Technically you can upgrade those and be pushing more boost on a near stock motor.

Also, it is one of very few (a few D series and the F series) of the SOHC variety. That is a key factor in flow vs. the DOHC that most honda motors come in.

The F series stock sleeve inserts, and internals are more than capable of holding larger amount of boosts but then again you run into the ringlands which are very touchy to boost. Once you wreck one of those, it's basically a chain reaction to damage the internals of the motor. For that very reason, the tune needs to be just right for someone to be pushing more than 7-9psi on a stock block/head.

With that being said you need to have COMPLETE control of the motor while tuning. As we have seen with not only myself, but RussianRed, and a few others on the site have gone through a few motors to get it right.....

That is why a AFC/AVC/piggy back/etc. does NOT WORK for tuning a large amount of boost on a stock block/head. Not only that but the correct injectors, fuel pump, MAP sensor, etc. need to be implemented into the motor with complete control. Yes, the piggy back systems do have control over these but not as much as is needed for what the OP is doing.

I don't know much about chipped ecu's I.E. the p28. I have seen some F series run a chipped p28 or similar running chrome/hondata/etc. that have worked just fine. but needs a superior tuner to know exactly what he is doing. On top of that i feel that it doesn't give you enough tuning capabilities as compared to a full standalone will give you for that amount of boost on a stock block.....reliably and for a lengthened period of time.

Hope that gives a little bit of insight.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
tuning is essential for any major mod

with a turbo, it can "limp" around town with its fresh new turbo but before you step on that gas and make boost, you should get a tune, not a basemap.

p28 ecus are fine for tuning turbo cars, but like any tune, they need adjustment often.

with the changing of the weather and newer mods and even wearing down of older mods require a simple a/f check to make sure you are not leaning out your motor

the only downside is that converting to p28 is illegal in some states since you cannot go back from obd-ii to obd-i.

have fun with the build

Back