Upstream O2 Sensor Problems (P1035)

mike

Reaction score
1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4cyl
Engine ID: F23A1

I decided to change the Primary O2 sensor.

I first installed a California Denso Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor, this ended up being the wrong one, as soon as I turned on the car I got a P1035 check engine code.

Then I installed the correct one, Denso 234-4620 Oxygen sensor and the P1035 code is there.

I followed Honda's trouble shooting guide:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3FTLYW77

and get to step 18. I'm not able to do this step but I suspect an open between the ECM and the Primary O2 sensor.

Do you guys think installing the wrong O2 sensor the first time damaged the wiring? Anybody run into a similar situation?

Mike

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4cyl

I decided to change the Primary O2 sensor.

I first installed a California Denso Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor, this ended up being the wrong one, as soon as I turned on the car I got a P1035 check engine code.

Then I installed the correct one, Denso 234-4620 Oxygen sensor and the P1035 code is there.

I followed Honda's trouble shooting guide:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3FTLYW77

and get to step 18. I'm not able to do this step but I suspect an open between the ECM and the Primary O2 sensor.

Do you guys think installing the wrong O2 sensor the first time damaged the wiring? Anybody run into a similar situation?

Mike

Did you reset the code from the first time it came up. Is your car California emission or not?

mike

Reaction score
The Car is not California emissions and I did reset the engine code, but it comes up instantly when I turn the car on. The correct sensor is installed.

001Stunna

Reaction score
hmmm, do you have a obd2 reader with live graphing by any chance?
...maybe check if the o2 sensor is actually operating or not.
...did you pull any wires throughout the whole endevour?
...did you use a direct fit sensor or the universal ones where you have to crimp the wires yourself?

mike

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, decided to sell the car, time to move on.

AccordUser

Reaction score
I had this code, but it eventually turned into a P0420, the CEL has been on for 3 years, I just gave up after replacing both o2 sensors and a cat. I even cleaned my egr. I'm also thinking of selling, but it doesnt affect the "driveability" of the car.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
I had this code, but it eventually turned into a P0420, the CEL has been on for 3 years, I just gave up after replacing both o2 sensors and a cat. I even cleaned my egr. I'm also thinking of selling, but it doesnt affect the "driveability" of the car.

Put a sparkplug non fouler on the sensor that goes in the cat. Code will go away and never come up again.

Theres a thread on here for it that blacknight did i believe but a quick google search yielded me this. Its pretty much the same idea
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...lug-non-fouler-trick-installation-w-pics.html

AccordUser

Reaction score
Put a sparkplug non fouler on the sensor that goes in the cat. Code will go away and never come up again.

Theres a thread on here for it that blacknight did i believe but a quick google search yielded me this. Its pretty much the same idea
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/22...on-w-pics.html

ok, ill give it a shot, i guess i cant hurt anything. i didnt do it initially because i thought that it would decrease my gas mileage...but Ill try it and hope for good things, preciate it.:peace:

001Stunna

Reaction score
ok, ill give it a shot, i guess i cant hurt anything. i didnt do it initially because i thought that it would decrease my gas mileage...but Ill try it and hope for good things, preciate it.:peace:

It wont do anything to your gas mileage. It just moves the sensor out of exhausts gas flow, hence making it read less oxygen, hence making the ECU think the cat.converter is working properly, hence not illuminating the CEL

Back