Question for the camera guru's...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I didn't want to put this in General (wanted camera guys to see it) or the Photography Shoutbox...thought this was the closest thing to a general photography section so I slapped it in here. Plus it looks like this forum could use a few threads lol. Anyway, sorry if this is not in the right place, just let me know if it's not and I'll move it.

SO...I am not a serious photographer, but I am more than just the casual snapper. I don't take photos regularly but when I do, I like to take good ones that incorporate some element of lighting, effects, and overall composition. I am an industrial designer by trade and took photography in school. So I've got the eye, and after doing some serious modding and thus photgraphing of my car this past summer, I am getting more into taking photos and would like more options when capturing my subject...which, more often than not, is my car lol. Other than that, it's landscapes or close-ups of small to medium sized objects, or partials of large objects.

I currently use a Sony H3 and it takes great photos in full HD for what it is, but I have discovered there are some circumstances and environments that I would like to be able to take better photos in. I know I want a camera that enables me to add a flash and different types of lenses to start, such as a wide-angle. I have also seen some amazing photos of member's cars photographed in while in motion and I would love to be able to do that.

Anyway I see D50's and the like mentioned around here all the time, but it seems the members that use them have photography as a major hobby. And I am not one to drop $800 to $1000 on a camera. I would like a solid just over average Digital SLR that gives me options for better photos and add-ons. I'd just like something that has a higher purpose than a point&shoot, but isn't meant for the super advanced user or that costs $1000. But yielding great results is a goal. Yes I can photoshop like a madman but I want something better to start with.

I am reading the stickies in the Photography section, just wanted to get a discussion going. If you believe that a DSLR is something that you go "all or nothing on", don't be afraid to tell me.

So, before I get ahead of myself... tell me if you know about this one: http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5007270&Sku=N13-4562 Is it a piece?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i find the viewfinders on the dx000 cameras to be horrible...really small. oh and circuit city... :lawl:

well anyway...since i like pentax, i'd go with a brand new K-x. it's the starter cam with lots of extra features. stabilization is built into the body so every single lens is stabilized...no paying for them. tests (although boring) show that it has amazing high ISO capabilities that are most likely best in the APS-C class.

what else...it uses AA batteries, lithium or NiMh rechargeable...comes in colors too :lawl:

i was about to get one but it was too small for my hands. most other small cameras dont have battery grips, either. it's quite possibly the best deal going in the APS-C market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCYlqRIVvcs

start out with the 18-55 kit lens...i would also recommend ponying up for the 55-200 or especially the 55-300 kit...worth it. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=continueShopping&Q=

xluben

Reaction score
Canon T1i or the Nikon D5000 are going to be the best places to start if you want to stay mainstream.

Just remember that once you commit to a brand and start buying good glass it will be VERY expensive to switch.

I would probably try asking this in a larger photography forum, not one that has 5-10 active members. It will be easy to be swayed by what the people posting are actually using.

finch13

Reaction score
Like Ben said, stay mainstream. That's the one downfall Pentax has... hardly anyone uses them :lawl: and the aftermarket tends to design towards Canon/Nikon before Pentax/Sony.

I'm a Canon guy at heart, but if a Nikon is all I have to shoot with I'll use it. I find that Nikon controls are far too confusing, complex and non-intuitive. I think they tend to over complicate their cameras to make them "appear" to be more professional to an unsuspecting consumer.

All the companies have their own quirks and people will argue all day over Nikon & Canon. The best thing for you to do is to figure out your budget, the features you need/want, and to test shoot a camera at a camera shop or Best Buy.

Like Ryan said, the Pentax K-x, Canon xxxD (T1i, XSi, XTi, etc.), Nikon Dxxx or Dxxxx (D5000, D3000, etc.) are great fits for someone getting used to an SLR camera. These cameras won't give you as many in-camera options and features as a mid-level or upper-level SLR, but the quality in normal light conditions is there, with the option to attach professional glass to the body. Hell, I started shooting with the original Canon Digital Rebel and it got me some great shots before I felt I needed something a little more "serious".

Used equipment is all over Craigslist as well, you can find a lot of mid-level and professional equipment at some decent prices and great condition.

Raul

Reaction score
canon or nikon dslr! i agree with the guys above.

I am planning to pick up canon rebel t1i with 18-55 and 50mm lens. brand new from best buy. the price is 1110 with taxes included. yay or nay?

Raymond

Reaction score
canon or nikon dslr! i agree with the guys above.

I am planning to pick up canon rebel t1i with 18-55 and 50mm lens. brand new from best buy. the price is 1110 with taxes included. yay or nay?

I would never pay over $1k for a Rebel body and Canon's two cheapest lenses, but that's just me.

Raul

Reaction score
amazon, adorama will probably kill me on shipping. keep in mind im from canada.

Ray, i dont wana pay more than a grand either. But I cant find any better deal:coffee:

Red02Accordv6_2

Reaction score
...keep in mind im from canada.

nelson_haha.jpg

finch13

Reaction score
Ah Crazy Canucks! Go buy a Sony alpha!

Hahaha... even with crazy shipping I bet you could get a better deal. I got my 40D body and EG-2N grip for like $1150 or so.

Back