Engine acting strange

Joshfish9182

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I don't post on here much and I'm not sure this is actually in the correct forum but anyways I started up my accord (99 V6 sedan)this morning and it was being a bit funky(in a bad way). I had to fix something on my other car so I decided to just let it idle a bit and warm up.

When I was done I went up to the car and the gauge cluster wasn't working. The tach was at 0, as were temp and fuel gauges. (Definitely has some gas in the tank and had been idling for 20+mins).

I gave her a bit of gas to see what happened and it started surging and shaking the car when I just barely held my foot on the gas. As the tach wasn't working, I have no idea what rpm this was at but it sounded like 1500-2000 rpm. It went up and down really quickly, not like the surging you'd get from a bad IACV where the engine revs up and then cuts fuel and repeats. More like the engine speed was bouncing back and forth(if that makes any sense). It wasn't happening higher than (what might have been) 2500rpm.

More info on the car: 99 v6 sedan, 266000 miles. Recently replaced the radiator, IACV, upper intake manifold, alternator. It's a project car and hasn't actually driven on the road (legally ;) ;) ;))in well over a year. I start it up every week or two and let the engine run to operating temp then take it up and down the driveway a few times.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section, any and all help/input is greatly appreciated.

dawg316

Reaction score
clean up and recheck the grounds kinda odd but let me know what you find

Back