BlkCurrantkord's '11 WRX

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice. Just reading over some of that, what is the speed limit for the "parade laps" you do as a novice driver? Do you remember from when you did it?

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice. Just reading over some of that, what is the speed limit for the "parade laps" you do as a novice driver? Do you remember from when you did it?

Eh...probably like 40-60? Maybe 80 on the back straight. They'll instruct you before you go out and while in the car. Was talking with a bunch of the guys I went with over the weekend and it turns out we were all doing the same thing coming onto the back straight, hitting 100-120ish around the kink and just coasting from there. You probably won't see those speeds though.

I would highly recommend upgrading your pads, rotors, and fluid before even considering going on track. I boiled by Motul coming into Turn 1 under the bridge on my last lap.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
With my BBK I'm pretty limited with pad choice, I'll have to look back to see what the compound is.

It's probably not something I'd do with this car anyway since it has 200k+ miles. Unless I had the suspension professionally inspected, and replaced any worn bushings, etc.

So you can go faster when you're intermediate. Does an instructor still go out with you or are you on your own? Is there still a max speed you cannot exceed?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
With my BBK I'm pretty limited with pad choice, I'll have to look back to see what the compound is.

It's probably not something I'd do with this car anyway since it has 200k+ miles. Unless I had the suspension professionally inspected, and replaced any worn bushings, etc.

So you can go faster when you're intermediate. Does an instructor still go out with you or are you on your own? Is there still a max speed you cannot exceed?

As long as your car is in good condition maint wise, you're fine. A good once over should be fine. You can even do the acclimation programs where its only $75. Instructor rides with you and it's a little more of a "getting your feet wet" experience to see if it's something you really want to do.

Example - An older gentleman went out with his new(er) GTI in the acclimation program w/ my buddy who's an instructor and he was all over the place. Couldn't read the track, couldn't shift properly, couldn't modulate the throttle. Just horrible. Then my buddy took him out in his personal car (fully prepped Nissan nx2000). When they got back the old guy said "Yup, not for me, I'm done" and went home lol.

Intermediate is only for people that have done/do a min 5 track days a year or the instructor thinks you're skilled enough to go out with them. You can go as fast as your comfortable with and the car will handle, obviously you don't wanna go balls out your first time on track. You want to gradually ease into it. The only thing limiting you is you and your car, but be smart about it. Which is why the majority of us would let off at about 120 before the brake zone.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Cool. I'm sure it's something I'd enjoy and that I'd have a feel for, since that all applies when I go go-karting. This is just on a different scale, obviously.

Maybe I'll try it sometime.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Finally got the brakes on the car a few weeks ago. Along with new wheels/tires

17x9 +42 MachV Awesome in gold w/ 255/40r17 Falken RT615K+. Also put my suede steering wheel on w/ NRG hub.

I'll get some pics up at some point.

Two track days coming up soon - May 14th & June 4th

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I'm finding I am liking the look of the WRX over the STI the more I see the two of them.

The prices for both are up there, at least here, but the latest version looks good.

Was actually eyeing an 08 WRX Sport(hatch version) that already came lowered with some aftermarket wheels.

Wife wanted something a little more economical.......08 Mazda 5 GT it was. :lawl:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bought an extra set of heads a few weeks ago. Sent those out to IAG to get a valve job, polish the journals, mill the heads, and cleaned them up. Ended up w/ one bad cam and needing valve guides. Rather than buy one new cam and 4 new buckets, I went ahead and had them do all planned work, skip the new cam/buckets, slap in GSC street valve springs and GSC valve guides for the planned Kelford 199B's. Then I can just buy all new buckets when the time comes.

Just waiting on those to come back, my extra coolant crossover pipe, ARP head studs, and the rest of the KillerB oiling system components to come in so I can start some assembly.

After I got the heads in I took to the valve covers and the block w/ my dremel to smooth out all the casting flash, edges, and to smooth out some transitions. Cleaned everything and painted the covers in wrinkle red and the block got 2 coats of ceramic primer before 2-3 coats of aluminum paint. Also installed my AN breather fittings to the block and valve covers.

It's coming together slowly but surely!

Coming 2018:

Built short block - (assembled Aug 2017)
- Manley Turbo Tuff Rods
- King Bearings
- STI Crank
- Wiseco pistons (9.0:1)
Kelford 199B's
GSC Valve Springs
GSC Valve Guides
ATP GT3076R (purchased fall of 2016)
Tial MVR 44mm EWG (red)
Composite TGV's (purchased 2016)
AVO Turbo Inlet (purchased 2016)
Samco Silicone BPV tube (purchased 2016)
DEFI Gauges (white needle/red face)
ARP Headstuds
IAG Fuel Rails
ID 1000's
DW 65c pump
OEM Air Pump Delete (purchased 2015)
KillerB Oil pickup (purchased 2017)
KillberB windage tray (purchased 2017)
Crawford AOS (purchased 2017)
Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe (coated)

What you can't see and I forgot to take a picture of is all the taping I did on literally every bolt hole and mating surface before painting.

Back