98 EX overheating

BMArias15

Reaction score
I did a seafoam cleaning via brake booster line yesterday (everything went fine and i followed protocol to the Tee) and my car began to overheat today while on the highway, when i pull over there was no water leakage but simply a "hissing" sound coming from what appears to be the thermostat housing area. I put the heater on blast and drove to my nearest gas station to add water... what i noticed is that the engine really isnt that hot at all, the upper rad hose is extremely HOT but the lower rad hose was cool/warm.

After i fill with water (it took about a gallon w/some spilling) and continue on my way to destination the temp gauge begins to go down when i brake to normal temp and bak up towards the H when accelerating so i immediately thought the T-stat is the culprit here. <--- also because the lower hose wasnt getting hot i thought the t-stat my have been shut closed.

But when i get back home i notice that the Heater inlet Hose under the distributor has a bad leak that shoots water out and may have caused the "hissing" i heard earlier. MY QUESTION is this... Did a bad/closed T-stat cause the hose to burst do to pressure some how or this simply a hose problem? Also may any other problems have happened i should look out for? the oil is fine via dipstick, removed sparkplug and looked w/flashlight and water, car turns on and runs fine.... while sitting at idle after applying water the engine doesnt over-heat tho the water does leak from hose...

Thx, i know im all over the place with this post but im just trying to cram it in using my girls ipad which is a pain in the arse!! =)

BMArias15

Reaction score
also could this in ANY way be the reason for my CEL being on giving the codes P0141 Secondary HO2S Heater Circuit Fault (Sensor 2) & P1167 Primary HO2S (No. 1) Heater System

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Take your thermostat out, that way ur not blocking water flow. If ur car runs colder or normal. Replace thermostat, if it still overheats, ur pump may be going out or look for leaks.

BMArias15

Reaction score
Well my Heater Inlet Hose from the firewall definitely has a bad leak from what i observed last night so im gonn repair that today if i can by cutting out the section and reattaching since its right next to the clamp

Back