Engine can't on

crosed

Reaction score
Ok,so i really no hope.. :bash:
2 day ago the check engine light is come up and i check already,it say the coolant sensor..
after that,in the morning,i start my car,very hard to make engine On,but the crank,electrical is good,then afternoon,the engine really off,cant on..
i can start,crank is good,every electrical is good,but can't on..
then i wait about 2 hours,i try again and its normal..
but the idle is different already,now about 1200 rpm..
before that problem,below than 1000rpm

today i change the distributor spark..the car still normal..but i dont know tomorrow the engine still can on when i start or turn off again
but i see the idle still no good..
anybody know whats the problem?
any connect from the coolant sensor?
thermostat is good,i check already.

1 more thing,i just felt the timing belt is too tight..but i changed about 4 months ago when summer..now is cold..

please help me..

001Stunna

Reaction score
2 day ago the check engine light is come up and i check already,it say the coolant sensor..

What was the CEL code? Did you ever change the coolant sensor?
Have you tried throwing some gas line water remover in the tank?

Did you or a shop install the timing belt?

crosed

Reaction score
I not yet change the coolant sensor..the code only for coolant sensor
The shop change for me for timing belt..
Should I adjust the timing belt?

Today morning I start the car..vey hard to make the engine run..finally,its run,but when its cold the rpm below than 1,when it hot , rpm about 1200 ..really confuse..
I just change the distributor until now..

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
if the code is for a faulty coolant sensor i don't see why you changed the distributor. you should look up the procedure for testing the coolant temp sensor or just buy I new one and install it. The ecu adjusts the idle when the engine is cold so that it warms up to operating temp faster. if the ecu is getting no signal from the coolant temp sensor then it has no idea when the car is warm enough to adjust the idle back down.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I not yet change the coolant sensor..the code only for coolant sensor
The shop change for me for timing belt..
Should I adjust the timing belt?

Today morning I start the car..vey hard to make the engine run..finally,its run,but when its cold the rpm below than 1,when it hot , rpm about 1200 ..really confuse..
I just change the distributor until now..

Do not touch the timing belt!
Why are you just changing parts for no reason when the CEL pointed to the coolant sensor???

Change the coolant sensor as the engine uses it to determine when the engine is hot. If its malfunctioning your car constantly thinks its running cold and dumping fuel to warm itself up...when its already hot.

You might need to take the distributor off again to change the coolant sensor as you'll have more room to manage. Go easy and be gentle with it so you don't snap anything off. Consider spraying some PB Blaster or other penetrant before removing it. In addition be careful reinstalling the distributor and that you do not damage the outer o-ring seal.

crosed

Reaction score
I changed for $300 yesterday..so,for the idle problem,i have to change coolant sensor?
Do you have link that show how to change coolant sensor?
I will try today.,than I update.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I changed for $300 yesterday..so,for the idle problem,i have to change coolant sensor?
Do you have link that show how to change coolant sensor?
I will try today.,than I update.

What did you change for $300? I hope it wasn't the distributor and you bought a brand new one. Because if you did go and return it ASAP if you can and put the old one back as nothing was wrong with it.

YOU NEED TO STOP CHANGING PARTS YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE!!!

The coolant sensor is located right below the distributor on an I4 F23A engine.

At this rate it may be better for you to take the car a to a shop to change the sensor then you doing it.

83230620.jpg

The sensor is pointed to in the Picture. You need to go buy one first, remove distributor, remove old sensor, install new sensor, install distributor.

PS. You might need to drain a bit of the coolant out so it doesn't spew on you from the sensor once you remove it.

PS. If you're V6 its a lot easier to change and nothing needs be removed.
83230622.jpg

Last edited:

crosed

Reaction score
Update :
I changed the coolant sensor already,the result is good ,rpm is ok like last time..but engine light still on.and I hope no more problem for run engine..this morning start very easy like last time..
My friend said,the check engine light will gone after we drive about 10 mile,is that true?

Thx for helping me..

Back