Question About Shocks

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm gonna explain my situation and give some info about my current suspension setup.

Springs: Tanabe NF210 (drop: 1.2"F/0.8"R, manufacturer's site says they are designed for comfort and are approximately 5% stiffer than stock)
Shocks: Tokico Blues (intended as an OEM replacement, slightly stiffer than stock, and recommended to be run with stock springs)
Sway Bars: Eibach front and rear with new endlinks
Camber Kit: Ingalls front and rear
Acura TL+Neuspeed strut bar combo
Ultra Racing front lower tie bar

Every aftermarket part on this car is less than a year old. When I bought the springs, I tried to get a shock that was also 5% stiffer than stock to match them perfectly. However, I don't think I was very successful.

The car is exhibiting characteristics that are generally associated with blown shocks; lots of brake dive and acceleration squat, more body roll than it should have, and a bouncy ride (particularly on the freeway at high speeds). I also have hypercompressed the front strut assemblies and hit the bumpstops on several occasions, mainly when hitting bumps or potholes too fast.

So my question is, do I need stiffer shocks?
If so, what shocks do you think would be a better match?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
What are the spring rates? If they are in fact only 5% stiffer you basically have suspension that is barely stiffer than OEM, which means you get oem-like ride quality/handling. As for the shocks, I've never owned blues. But if you want to upgrade, I would either go up to Tokico Illumnas (sp?) or ideally, Koni yellows.

As for the body roll, that sounds like it is in excess of what it should be if you have the Eibach RSB. Though you said you have the front bar, which may have made the car more neutral again. I would put the stock FSB back on and see what that does to start.

How aggressively are you driving the car? You may just need a firmer setup all around.

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
Forgot to mention this, it's my daily and I'm trying to keep the ride as comfortable as possible. I'm about to switch back to OEM springs on the Blues (with DIY boat mod) until I can figure out what shocks would be an ideal match to my spring rate.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Most of your issues (roll, squat, bump stop) are because the springs are not stiff enough. The pics of random ones on their website are not even progressive.

As for 'bouncy ride', it's hard to judge.

IDK about your shocks, I ran H&R Race springs (~2.5" drop) on stock (real Honda) shocks with no issues, even on gravel roads.

kn0x47

Reaction score
^what he said. The issue sounds like your springs. I had tokico blues and eibach sportlines and it rode really well

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
Update: This problem never existed in the first place :poker:
I just swapped my wobbly power seat slider for a manual one, and it turns out the problem was just the seat the entire time. Go figure.
I guess I still hit the bumpstops occasionally, but the ride is actually perfect now.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if you do want to be able to stiffen or soften it a little as you please, you could always upgrade the shocks with the tokico illuminas. i had them on my first accord and they were great.

Back