Unknowingly drgiving my car without an air intake for a few days, am I in trouble?

Johnny

Reaction score
I'm pretty pissed. My car's been in and out of what I thought was a good trustworthy shop. It was throwing a couple of codes, one for evap leak, the other for a tranny switch. Two weeks ago the tranny switch was fixed and I'm pretty sure that's when they removed my air intake and left it in pieces in my engine bay....

After I got the car back I drove it very little and ended up having to take it back because my evap CEL came back on (p1456). They fixed it, and since I finally had the car back I took it to get an oil change later that day and the mechanic comes out to tell me my after market air intake was "all taken apart and just laying under the hood" so he connected everything back up for me.

Dammit.. I just can't believe how stupid someone was to close the hood on an unattached air intake and hand me the keys. The engine had 160k on it but it was in really good shape, now I don't know. My driveway is a long dirt road and the car went up and down it probably eight times, but other than that regular old roads are all I drove on. I probably drove the car for less than an hour total in the past two weeks.

What do you guys think? Is my my engine in significantly worse shape than it was? The car's driving fine now and I'm not noticing anything different but I know I probably won't for a long while. I don't know if I should raise hell with whoever did this or just accept it, not really sure what they could do for me since any damage is done now.

One other question. So I had a smoke test done and the tranny switch checked done, the tranny switch being taken care of the first time I took the car in. Am I correct in assuming you need to remove the air intake to get to the switch? I'm trying to figure out if they did this the first visit or my most recent visit. Would any portion of a smoke test involve opening the hood and removing the intake?

Sorry for ranting a bit, I'm just still pretty bummed. Any advice on this situation greatly appreciated guys, thanks

Accord281

Reaction score
Re: Unknowingly drgiving my car without an air intake for a few days, am I in trouble

Do an oil change for sure. Maybe a fuel system cleaner to clean out the heads. I doubt it did any long term damage, but do the oil change to be safe.

Edit: actually, since the problem was discovered DURING an oil change, don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Re: Unknowingly drgiving my car without an air intake for a few days, am I in trouble

Wow, pathetic. Maybe an honest mistake but that's a pretty big one. I'd definitely call them, ask for the manager, and tell him what happened. If we just let people get way with not giving a **** they will just keep getting away with it.

I think your car is okay, what ^he said is good input. In driving it with the disconnected intake did you ever get on it? It sounds like the pieces were still somewhat close together if nothing fell out under the car, which may mean there wasn't much of a chance of anything significant getting in the motor really. It wouldn't hurt to open the IM and take a look, or at least peek through the TB with a good flashlight.

Last edited:

Johnny

Reaction score

Thanks Accord281 and RedRyder

Yeah I think I'll go ahead and call them up tomorrow and let them know what they did. I never got a chance to actually see the intake, the mechanic at the place I get my oil changed let me know after he reconnected it up for me, maybe it was just loosely attached? Not sure, but he made it sound like it was all apart.

It wouldn't hurt to open the IM and take a look, or at least peek through the TB with a good flashlight.

sorry for asking but could you elaborate on that, I'm a bit of a novice

Thanks again for the replies, makes me feel better

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

chances are if anything went in, it's probably gone out shortly after.

if something was going to get damaged, it would have been already. the shop would probably just blame the aftermarket intake anyway (even though it was properly installed previously).

shyste

Reaction score

i need to get myself an air intake. hope your car isn't messed up

Back