TUTORIAL: Hid

shavedaccord

Reaction score
OK simple tutorial on H.I.D. this is about as close as you are going to get with photoshop

1. Open the image of the car you wanna "install" H.I.D. on. In my case I choose this Golf R32 since it has some nice projectors.
1.jpg

2. Ok first step to creating a realistic H.I.D. effect is creating the glow or halo around the headlamps. So grab your brush tool
brush.jpg
and select a size that is in tune to the size of the headlamps in my case I went with a 150px brush. Now that you have the size selected we'll need to change some settings on our brush tool:

Change the hardness to 0%
hardness.jpg

Change the Mode to Linear Light & Opacity to 50%
settings.jpg

3. Ok now that we have the currect settings we need to pick the color of our H.I.D. output. I found that sky blues work the best or faint yellows I'm going going to use a sky blue here. Open your color pallete and make sure "Only Web Colors" is unchecked & put in color #d2e7fc
color.jpg

4. Now take your brush and try your best to center it over each headlamp or projector rather and give it one click. Should end up with something like this.
2.jpg

5. Ok now it's time to really make it pop. Remember them brush settings? Well it's time to change them again. First change is the size of your brush. Try and choose a brush size closest to the size of the projector or reflector area of the headlamps in my case it would be 30px. Second change is going to be the opacity of the brush you'll want to move that back up to 100%. So now your settings should look like this (brush size will differ):
settings2.jpg

6. Ok we got our settings where they need to be now it's time to make 'em shine. Center your brush over each projector or reflector area and give it one click and vola you have H.I.D.
3.jpg

NOTE: You advanced guys after you have finished all the steps you can go back and add some lite pink or purple around the headlamps to add a more OEM H.I.D. look like so:
4.jpg

Back