Timing Belt Broke

ajdula93

Reaction score
So my Timing belt broke on my 02 honda accord 4cyl f23a4. It has been replaced along with nuw water pump and spark plugs. But now when I crank up car there is a sort of knocking sound and feeling in the cart that i can feel on my feet on the pedal. Also when shifting in first two gears same sound and feeling on petals. Also rough idle at time and when I'm slowing down and have to press on brakes hard it feels like there's something rattling or lose. So CEL Light is on of course and I got 3 codes. One for catalytic efficiency, one for missfire code, and on for thermostat. And it's weird because I just replaced thermostat a few months ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
So my Timing belt broke on my 02 honda accord 4cyl f23a4. It has been replaced along with nuw water pump and spark plugs. But now when I crank up car there is a sort of knocking sound and feeling in the cart that i can feel on my feet on the pedal. Also when shifting in first two gears same sound and feeling on petals. Also rough idle at time and when I'm slowing down and have to press on brakes hard it feels like there's something rattling or lose. So CEL Light is on of course and I got 3 codes. One for catalytic efficiency, one for missfire code, and on for thermostat. And it's weird because I just replaced thermostat a few months ago

Sounds like you got some bent valves... Confirm with compression test. When a timing belt breaks, it isn't usually good,

ajdula93

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I've been told. Is it expensive to get new valves?

james'99

Reaction score

ajdula93

Reaction score
Think i could save some money if i to go to junk yard and pull an cylinder head off a car?

ajdula93

Reaction score
Ok thanks man. Going to try that first. Will keep post up to date with progress

james'99

Reaction score
Ok thanks man. Going to try that first. Will keep post up to date with progress

I wouldn't throw money at it without a compression test first. My opinion though. Also, looking at the pistons using a boroscope through the spark plug wells isn't a bad idea.

Back