Car wont start..... after two trips to autozone...

nomocars23

Reaction score
ok guys ill start at the begining.

Thursday here in rolla Mo. it hit 114 degrees i drove my car around that day perfectly fine as usual. no problemsa all day with starting up, a/c, audio system or anything. at about 4 in the evening i start my car to go work out i go to the gym for about an hour and head out to my car i go for the key and ... NOTHIN!

At the time all i would here was one click obviously i run through the first couple of things any semi educated person does...
1. check the batery termials for corrosion and stufff.... nothin
2. i go back in the car to try it again nothin this time again

now im take alot around the car for tell tell signs of anything. the dash lights up as usuall the green key goes away after a second or two as usal and i try to crank it over again. the weird part is the dash lights dim a bit as if its trying to start. but theres only one single click the engine isnt cranking or anything. so i lef the car there and figure id give it a try when i cooled down.

the next morning i come out at about 8 and it starts right up, so i drive it to class.
after class i go out and diced i should probally take her home just incase she decides to act up (it was said it would get back up to 100 again).
I get home park her go inside and eat lunch i come back out and nothing the same as before one click and no cracks or anyhting its not like a dead batery or anything.

sooo today sunday i head up to autozone stater in hand ready to switch it out. i get it tested in and works fine... to me amazement!!! sooo i head home and throw it back in checking all the connections and i try to start it nothing!!!!

at this point i do some more reasearch on line and find out it may be the main relay or ignition switch. I go on to take the main relay out and look at the solder points and they look all good no cracks or weak points in the curicut points so i head to auto zone again this time with the ignition switch in hand ...i swap that out and now nothing stilll

I was hopeing you guys would be able to help me out ... im thinking its the starter and that stupid machine at autozone is just making the starer work some how... can someone plz help me out!

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
So you didn't replace the main relay? Can you hear the fuel pump hum when you turn the key? If you can't then its a good shot that its the main relay

nomocars23

Reaction score
im pretty sure i hear the "hmmm you talking about. but if it was the main relay wouldn't the engine still crank or try to turn over?

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
I'm guessing main relay.

Also there is something called heat soak when the car Is subject to very hot ttemps it can cause weird issues

My car just went through the same issues and mine ended up being my engine harness and ecu fried itself and my car sits in 100+ degree weather and that's when my symptoms started. Not trying to scare you but id check the main relay

Last edited:

nomocars23

Reaction score
welll turns out i went on a whim and bought the new starter... car cranked right up....

moral to the story don't trust the tests, the starter may turn but under a load it could still be bad

nomocars23

Reaction score
Nope a day later and a couple runs to the as station Walmart and to wrk this afternoon ... Still running... Starting fine.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
welll turns out i went on a whim and bought the new starter... car cranked right up....

moral to the story don't trust the tests, the starter may turn but under a load it could still be bad

I'm glad you got your problem sorted out, but that is a horrible philosophy. Tests are designed to find a problem under normal circumstances, you car was not experiencing normal temperatures.

Since the summer isn't even close to being over you should keep the main relay in mind, it isn't very sturdy in high temperatures.

Back