Wrapping factory f23a exhaust manifold

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I tried searching but came up with nothing.

I want to lower my underhood temps. Has anyone wrapped the factory exhaust manifold? The wrap is pretty cheap and seems like an easy DIY. And it looks cool also.

The only downside I see is an article stated something about condensation forming inside the pipes. But water doesn't condense on really hot materials. The only condensation I know if is on cold materials.

This isn't for performance gains. I like the looks and lowering under hood temps would be greats.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's cast iron. It's fine the way it is.

If you had an actual tubular header, I'd say sure, wrap it if it's 100% 304ss, if it's mild steel, don't bother. I guarantee anyone that sees that you've wrapped a cast iron manifold will point and laugh. If you really want to throw your $$ away at wrapping it, go ahead.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
The fiberglass wrap isn't all that expensive. I think I'll do it anyways just to see if it lowers underhood temperatures. I'm not looking for performance gains.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ +1 :coffee:. I love watching myself, in the past. How far we have come Greg. And my car is still being operated on :D

OP, if you are OCD about underhood temps get an auxiliary fan and hood spacers. Disclaimer: you won't need any of that until you make some serious heat/power.

Good luck! Having a laser thermometer also helps to trend changes.

Last edited:
Back