Gas pedal response messed up

phi1542

Reaction score
So last night I cleaned my EGR valve and this morning on the way to school I drove the car and the gas pedal response is all jacked up..... When I press on the gas a little it doesn't little to nothing. Anything under 2k rpm just jerks back and forth from 1-2k rpm. So it will jump from 1k to 2k back down to 1k then 2k again etc. the only way I can. Drive properly is floor it every where. I don't got gas money like that haha or sometimes I'll press on the gas and it won't move but after a few seconds itll just blast off to like 5k RPM and I'm just like wtf happened. I just sprayed the egr valve and the hole it attaches to on the engine bay withh carb cleaner and scrubbed it with an old toothbrush please help!!!

https://youtu.be/QiHlU9WNha4

Last edited:

whitederic

Reaction score
This has happened to me a couple times before and just went away. Still can't figure out where it's from. I just let off the gas then try again. Seems to only happen in colder weathers for me (below 50)

phi1542

Reaction score
This has happened to me a couple times before and just went away. Still can't figure out where it's from. I just let off the gas then try again. Seems to only happen in colder weathers for me (below 50)

Yeah on my way home from school it just went away lol

You're V6, right?

Check the tension on your throttle cable. Did you clean the throttle body as well?

yup V6! no i only cleaned the EGR valve

Maybe try clean the throttle body and the iacv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it went away. P0401 is cleared but now I have P0420..... catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. Now whats wrong?.... :( My cat is brand new

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
it went away. P0401 is cleared but now I have P0420..... catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. Now whats wrong?.... :( My cat is brand new

If your cat is brand new, check for exhaust leaks before the cat. Otherwise, consider replacing the O2 sensor on the cat. As for throttle response, I'd be cleaning the throttle body next as maybe the throttle plate is sticking..

phi1542

Reaction score
If your cat is brand new, check for exhaust leaks before the cat. Otherwise, consider replacing the O2 sensor on the cat. As for throttle response, I'd be cleaning the throttle body next as maybe the throttle plate is sticking..

hmm ok thanks. Might be my headers and flex pipe when I was slammed. Its all scraped up and dented... I wouldnt be surprised if there was a hole in it lmao thanks!

james'99

Reaction score
Still can't get my p0401 to go away :(

Not to thread jack here but did you ever pull the manifold and pick out whats in both the upper and lower plenum? Did you pull the actual valve and pick the carbon out of there? Compressed air and carb cleaner will probably be your best friend here.

phi, have you ever seafoamed your car? Now might be the time. The white smoke tends to make the leaks appear very well.

Last edited:

whitederic

Reaction score
Not to thread jack here but did you ever pull the manifold and pick out whats in both the upper and lower plenum? Did you pull the actual valve and pick the carbon out of there? Compressed air and carb cleaner will probably be your best friend here.
Yea I did. Flooded it with carb cleaner to where it was pushing carbon out the bottom. Used air to push it all out. Still pops up. Even replaced vavle and gasket.

Back