What amp for stock speakers?

Silver99

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am looking to figure out what amp (preferably Rockford Fosgate) would be best for the stock speakers but still allow for a sub at a later date and has a RCA input as I plan on doing a iPad mini dash instead of a head unit. I apologize if this has been answered, it's my first post and have yet to figure out how the forum works :Big Laugh: . Thanks!

coops-sedan

Reaction score
You don't want to amplify the stock speakers because you will destroy them. 2 options here:

1. A mono block amp and sub

2. A 4 or 5 channel amp with speakers. If you buy a 5 channel you can add a sub later.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Stock radio puts out less than 20w x 4, so the smallest cheapest thing you find.

I'd keep the stock radio. Figure out how to set it back a bit so you have a backup. You can set them up for aux inputs, and set them up to run a sub.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Warning: long post!

I pretty much only use/recommend Rockford Fosgate in my systems. Stock speakers are pretty weak and will melt the voice coils in a short period of time with an amp hooked up. If you are going to run a 5 channel amp you would need 3 inputs for them (Front,Rear,Sub) so honestly it would be better to get a cheap head unit with an aux input.

If you are going to amplify your stockers just be ready to replace them. If you tune them properly you could make them last a little while but they will pretty much sound the same, so whats the point? New speakers alone will sound much better than amping up your stockers.

Most of your Ipad to RCA converters will only have one set of RCA (right,left) so one channel only unless you use a couple of splitters to each channel. A sub is going to need its own input but hooking up full range to a sub (even if it has a low pass filter) will sound muddy.

1. For only an Ipad get a couple of amps. Ipad to RCA with a splitter for front and rear channels. A 4 channel amp for front and rear speakers with RCA input AND output so you can pass through to a sub amp. A couple of crossovers for the front so you can keep your in dash tweeters. You could do this with the 5 channel amp and use multiple splitters.

2. Keep your stock HU get some RCA converters for the speaker wires and hook up your amp or just the sub amp. Use the 6 disk input (if applicable) to your ipad with a converter.

3. Amp with HU. I would do Rockford Fosgate 5channel 1000x5 a good base for later upgrades http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p1000x5, with a cheap single DIN small head unit you can recess or hide some where that offers Front Rear Sub and Aux inputs for your Ipad hookup... (Walmart or Craigslist, Secret Audio<google it). That way you could do your ipad dash. A little pricey but worth it in the end.

My current set up is a cheap Valor touch screen HU with Navi to the stock speakers. With a Rockford Fosgate Monoblock amp 650RMS and two 10" punch P2 subs. Cheapish and easy, plus i can hook up my ipod/phone/usb stick/SDcard or whatever to it. Plus I love my reverse camera. When these speakers blow I have an RF 4 channel amp in the garage, gotta get the front and rear speakers still though.
ccRjjOZ.jpg

Crappy pic of Valor HU
QJ7Cyyj.jpg

Here is my buddy's system that I did in his 05 Accord. Sounds AMAZING! He spent about 3k (including my labor costs:)) decided not to use crossovers and kept the tweeters hooked up to the HU bypassing the amp. http://imgur.com/a/ZQW9M

Sorry I got carried away. Ill come back and edit later...

Last edited:

Silver99

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies! Spacemonkee23, thank you for the long post haha.
For only an Ipad get a couple of amps. Ipad to RCA with a splitter for front and rear channels. A 4 channel amp for front and rear speakers with RCA input AND output so you can pass through to a sub amp. A couple of crossovers for the front so you can keep your in dash tweeters. You could do this with the 5 channel amp and use multiple splitters.
I would like to do a 5 channel amp, as my purpose is to eliminate a head unit. A sub isn't necessary at this point. Would I be able to hook it up only to one 5 channel amp and replace speakers? Is there something better to hook it up with than RCA?
I pretty much only use/recommend Rockford Fosgate in my systems
I agree with this :)

Repped :)

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
I would like to do a 5 channel amp, as my purpose is to eliminate a head unit. A sub isn't necessary at this point. Would I be able to hook it up only to one 5 channel amp and replace speakers? Is there something better to hook it up with than RCA?

Repped :)

No problem. Thanks for the Rep!

Depending on what generation iPad you have, there are many adapters/converters to choose from. I would try and use the line out/dock connector for your audio source to bypass the built in amp in the iPad but you'll probably loose your charging capabilities.

Using the mini plug (headphone jack) is much easier and you could still hard wire in a charging cable... but you run the risk of distortion/clipping due to the source already being amplified by the internal iPad amplifier. Proper tuning can show good results with this method but be careful!

Easiest and cheapest option if you already have the iPad:
- ONE "stereo mini plug 3way splitter" and TWO (three if you run a sub) mini plug to RCA adapter, for front and rear channels 3rd for sub. (Sample pics below)

What iPad do you have/plan on getting? You might get lucky and find the perfect 3 channel (6 jack) RCA converter + Charger... but I doubt they make that quite yet :/
-------------------------------------------------
x1

5owMDxS.png

x3 for front, rear, and sub (for later)

F2hnEjm.png

Good luck with everything!

Edit: You will need to wire in a ignition switched wire for your amp Remote circuit also. The amp will not turn on/off with out it.
- if you decide to do the line out method from the bottom connector, your volume controls wont function from the iPad and you will need a few line level converters to act as your volume knobs. headphone jack will allow volume adjustment from the iPad.

Last edited:

agginline86

Reaction score
I wish I had the luck with RF subs. I went through 3 pairs that blew on me (properly powered and everything) before switching over to the Kicker Comps

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
I wish I had the luck with RF subs. I went through 3 pairs that blew on me (properly powered and everything) before switching over to the Kicker Comps

I hear this frequently and am still surprised. I've done countless systems through the years and all RF subs I've used have been perfect, including all mine and multiple other builds. Never once blew a RF sub! It all comes down to proper tuning and pairing proper specs from amp to sub. Those elements are key to longevity. If you push it too hard with improper settings you are going to blow things up.

I recently replaced my older punch P2s with the newer P2s and keep the old ones as backups. The top subs are circa 2005. One is pictured, I have two. Well, three if you count the one in my wife's car :). I have moved them into 3 different cars since new and they still hit as hard as before.
6Xbdkta.jpg

Man, all about the long posts today! Oh well, my bad...

Silver99

Reaction score
Easiest and cheapest option if you already have the iPad:
- ONE "stereo mini plug 3way splitter" and TWO (three if you run a sub) mini plug to RCA adapter, for front and rear channels 3rd for sub. (Sample pics below)

What iPad do you have/plan on getting?

I am either getting an iPad mini 2 or 3. I came up with a new idea, however. I have a Bluetooth receiver from Brookstone (Connect by Brookstone - you can look it up cuz I cant post links yet) and I was wondering, since Bluetooth bypasses built-in amps, if I could use Bluetooth instead of the 3.5mm jack or lightning port, allowing me to control volume thru the iPad and charge it, plus friends could sync their phones up if needed. Then run the stereo mini plug 3way splitter system you were talking about from the aux out on the Bluetooth module. Would this work? And I really like the long posts, it helps so much. I'm liking this forum :)

Edit: So at this point, I'm thinking of bluetoothing the iPad to the Connect module, then splitting the output 3 ways into 3 splitters into a 5 channel amp. Would this work?

Last edited:

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
I am either getting an iPad mini 2 or 3. I came up with a new idea, however. I have a Bluetooth receiver from Brookstone (Connect by Brookstone - you can look it up cuz I cant post links yet) and I was wondering, since Bluetooth bypasses built-in amps, if I could use Bluetooth instead of the 3.5mm jack or lightning port, allowing me to control volume thru the iPad and charge it, plus friends could sync their phones up if needed. Then run the stereo mini plug 3way splitter system you were talking about from the aux out on the Bluetooth module. Would this work? And I really like the long posts, it helps so much. I'm liking this forum :)

Edit: So at this point, I'm thinking of bluetoothing the iPad to the Connect module, then splitting the output 3 ways into 3 splitters into a 5 channel amp. Would this work?

Should work no problem, I like this idea a lot. You can hard wire a dual USB port somewhere hidden and hide wires to the dash for your iPad and maybe the center console cubby for the connect so you can still access the button to pair devices. That way you can take them out of the car if you need to.

Most of the time I am listening to Bluetooth on my phone but the volume levels are low because of poor the Bluetooth receiver in the HU. I might hook up a Bluetooth receiver to my mini plug in the console and see if that makes the volume more accurate. I have a Bluetooth receiver like the one you have to test it out.

Also, MAKE SURE THE AMP IS TUNED PROPERLY!!!

Back