How to get the best of my dying transmission.

cjsaccord

Reaction score
I also do not go over 3k to save my tranny and my gas since vtec kills my gas.
Also when Im reversing and about to go right back into drive, I usually go into neutral while Im slowly moving backwards then into drive without touching the brake to make the transition smoother.

I also usually wait until my car hits 2nd gear to actually start picking up speed, drivers probably think I have a manual since I take off super slow.

I don't know if anyone else's tranny does this.. but when Im going into drive I always wait and sit for 3-4 seconds for a clunk from the tranny when shifting into drive or when putting it in drive I don't touch the accelerator until it clunks into gear, sometimes it doesn't do the clunk that's why I said 3-4 seconds since after 4 secs it either does the clunk or it or it doesn't.

I didnt do it once when I was in a hurry and my tranny made a huge bang.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Same here, especially in reverse. I always wait until I know that the transmission goes into gear before I accelerate. I just hate the stop and go traffic when people drive like 10mph, brakes until 5mph and the car wants to go into second but doesn't and when I gas the car it slips and it does a rough shift into second.

WilDFirE

Reaction score
another one that we used to notice on our V6/AT was in the higher end gears if you were really wringing it out past 90 the switch from D3 to D4 was pretty nasty too...so we kept that to a minimum. But oddly enough the night before our trans bit the big one I pushed it to 110 or so....buuuuut the wife was driving when it died..... I'm just saying.

Back