5 Speed Swapped

What do you think of doing an AT to MT 5Spd Swap?

• Total voters

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
If you plan to turbo your car after the 5spd swap at some point it will be better to stick with the F23 tranny since it has longer gears but not a must. Also you will run in to the problem with the clutch pedal unless you install some spacers behind the clutch pedal assembly which you should do before hand and not after. You will have a problem with the linkage extension and won't be able to go in gears at times I did not find out for a while and kept driving my car till we found out it was not a clutch problem. The stock 5spd accord came out of the factory with this spacer welded on to the firewall so the automatic born accords are out of luck, it was a real pain in the *** to find this out because no one listed this issue in any DIY's I could find. $2500 parts an labor is not that bad really but if your shop is doing the labor for $900 you can really find the parts for dirt cheap. You can also take out the immobilizer chip from your auto ecu and retrofit it in a 5spd ecu vs running the automatic ecu and having a CEL and other problems. I would highly suggest going with new Slave Cylinder and Clutch master cylinder that's very recommended, mine failed after a while so I went and changed both of them and never had a problem since so buy new.

+2343928479827349 on the spacer behind the clutch pedal
same thing happened to me until eventually i could not even get the clutch to engage or disengage cause the bracket had bent so hard.
eventually my mechanic set up a bracket/spacer behind it so it works now.
dreman, check your PM, go Q's for you.

Ric Rock

Reaction score
just added my parts list on page 1...i dont have them all yet but plan to start grabbing them one by one can anyone tell me if im missing anything?

NASOHC

Reaction score
Tranny's are going for $550-650 used. Do consider the ECM upgrade too. It'll set you back a bit more. I forgot about that.

Ric Rock

Reaction score
the deal from craigslist for the 5speed has 115k miles on the tranny :skurred: more miles on it than i thought would be, but im planning to score a flywheel from that guy tho.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
If you need a stock Exedy OEM clutch and flywheel I have the set sitting here for months, I did not need it after all so it's new in box. I just want to get back about what I paid for it so I'm asking $220 shipped.

FWHDA01.jpg

HCK1000.jpg

turboputz

Reaction score
Doing a 5 speed swap will make your car so much more enjoyable to drive and considerably quicker, to the point where you won't worry so much about more power. It is a good choice. Then again I've never owned an auto and had to pay extra to swap in a 5 speed. I did however spend $150 on an H23 trans and a grip more on the labor to swap it in. My one piece of advice is this, if 60% or more of your driving is 0-70mph get the H23 trans. If 60% or more of your driving is 50-100mph, then stick with the F23 trans. Don't believe the hype about the M2S4 being "medium-geared" or a good compromise. Take it from someone whose lived with it for several years, you will get sick of keeping your engine strung out at high revs to go fast on the highway. Boy does it hit hard in 1st-3rd gear though.

Last edited:

Ric Rock

Reaction score
Doing a 5 speed swap will make your car so much more enjoyable to drive and considerably quicker, to the point where you won't worry so much about more power. It is a good choice. Then again I've never owned an auto and had to pay extra to swap in a 5 speed. I did however spend $150 on an H23 trans and a grip more on the labor to swap it in. My one piece of advice is this, if 60% or more of your driving is 0-70mph get the H23 trans. If 60% or more of your driving is 50-100mph, then stick with the F23 trans. Don't believe the hype about the M2S4 being "medium-geared" or a good compromise. Take it from someone whose lived with it for several years, you will get sick of keeping your engine strung out at high revs to go fast on the highway. Boy does it hit hard in 1st-3rd gear though.

Thanks for your input bro. Thats really helpful info thats helped me consider something more suited for me.

Back